Hey you! Lure manufacturers, EAT MY SHORTS!

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Hey you! Lure manufacturers, EAT MY SHORTS!

Post by DaveR »

Now I have been around this game for a little while. Fishing for damn near half a century. I like to think I kinda knew what I was doing for at least half that. So, I don't jump on any bandwagon. I don't go out and buy the newest lure or super line or camouflaged fishin stick or bait gel that's guaranteed to catch the bigguns. That being written, I do respect the opinions of my peers and when something strikes their fancy I'm willing to give it a go.
So my good pal Callaghan raves about this new "swim bait" that the fish can't stay away from. Oh yeah I says? Where do I get one and how much? Well I got it from BassPro and they cost about $16. EACH! For a few days I was able to fugetaboutit but I kept getting these damned pictures of fish with this this sticking out of its mouth.
So I went on a local search but no go. They weren't here. Well I thought maybe I could find something like it. I happen to have a birthday gift certificate to the local tackle shop so I goes shopping.
There it is. A jointed swim bait that sure looks good and well it has to be good cause da bitch is $17! So I plopped down the lure And a cool spoon that looks like a pinfish and some hooks for some other lures. 35 bucks later I'm in the parking lot taking out of the package so I could play with it on the way home. C'mon, you have all done this. I get home, tie it on and head right out to the local spillway to try it out, well after I saw how good it looked in the pool. You have done that too.
I get to the spillway and blammo! Second cast!
Wow! This thing is incredible! Another snook and a bass later I'm doing the math in my head to justify the cost per fish. The more fish I catch the cheaper it gets, right?
Then I see something busting bait above the spillway and after a few casts in that direction and solid strike. A hook set and game on. The fish jumps and much to my surprise it's my favorite target. I loosen the drag and after a few more jumps my pleasant surprise succumbs.
Now I have lived by this creek for over 20 years and never guessed there were tarpon in it. Jubilant doesn't begin to describe my demeanor at this point. So I bend down to remove the worlds best new lure from his maw and this happens.
Ok,ok. I have preached till the sun goes down about crimping barbs. I'm an ass and I forgot. After all this lure is less than an hour old! So crimp your barbs so this mess is but a fleeting memory.
So now comes my beef with lure makers. I spend damn near $20 bucks for a lure and it doesn't come with hooks that can stand up to a 5 or 6 pound tarpon. Oh, they hooked my finger real good but two of the six hooks were damn near straightend out. This just plain pisses me off. 4x hooks assholes! Why is that so hard? Get your heads out of your asses and listen!
Ok. I feel better now. Oh, btw, no big deal to get the hook out. Just clipped off the end which was easy cause it WAS A SHITTY HOOK!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
TRKpoker

Re: Hey you! Lure manufacturers, EAT MY SHORTS!

Post by TRKpoker »

Only thing I would say is while I never crimp down barbs (yea yea I know) I never fish without a pair of pliers that can't cut any hook off. I was just looking at that and my 9 yr old and 4 yr old were looking over my shoulder (didnt know) and thought it was a cool picture.... kids these days.....or as my wife would say "your kids...my kids would have said yuck!"
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I know it takes 14 minutes to strangle a two foot lady fish to death how long does it take for a Tarpon ?

"While that was a great read I must respectfully disagree with the previous responders post. Keep those barbs high man! When the next lady fish lands itself in your lap and the attached hooks impale your Long Island the story will be Pulitzer Prize winning!"

It only took 16 new Topics before Karma stepped in.
0 0 1
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

So I am thinking you go home and say to the wife "I have some good news and some bad news. What do you want to hear first?" Sorry to see that finger "mullet" you caught, but congrats on a great evening of fishing.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

So is it getting rehooked or retired?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I love it.

Why the hell are you messing about with that primitive equipment?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

The wind was blowing at gusts to 40ish. No way am I gonna even touch a fly rod in that. Oh and Bill, that's some funny shit right there!
Lure was rehooked 12 bucks and twenty minutes later.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Glad to be of service, I'm honored to think I, a mere mortal can have some sway and influence over a Leg-End like yourself.

Tight Lines brother!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Thats what you get for laying that snook on the concrete like that. :mrgreen:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote:Thats what you get for laying that snook on the concrete like that. :mrgreen:
:lol:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Dragging a snook across concrete, not crimping barbs=Welcome to newbie status, legend no more.

So what was this $17 finger piercing lure?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

$17.00 New Lure
$12.00 ReHook
$29.00 Finger Piercing ...Priceless.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

Any minute now we're going to be subjected to a pic of where they poked him with the tetanus shot needle.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

What brand and model was the lure?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Guilty of laying the snook on concrete. Piss poor move. Don't know what I was thinking. Lure is a Live Target swim bait.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

DirksFishin

Post by DirksFishin »

Hell hot concrete is way worse then a measuring board.......... Hope you put some sanitizer on that wound.
Derek

I hear possum taste like chicken.