New fishing rod/reel help.

TRKpoker

New fishing rod/reel help.

Post by TRKpoker »

I am looking to get a new rod/reel combo this coming year for bay fishing. I have 2 good combos for my top water fishing but I am looking for something for soft plastics (lighter lures) and skinny water fishing. I want to be able to toss very light weight jigs and swim baits. I was fishing in calf deep water in Flamingo and couldn't get at the reds without spooking them because the lures I had were too heavy and the splash would spook them.

I like 7' rods and spinning reels and really like braid. Just looking for ideas that wont break the bank. I don't mind spending 100 bucks for a rod and another 100 for a reel but that would be about my limit, 200 or less for the combo. Any ideas are welcome.
r3krobert
Supporter 2013

Re: New fishing rod/reel help.

Post by r3krobert »

If I were you I'd keep checking the "For Sale" forum on this site. Most of the folks here are using top of the line equipment and some times cull their collections. I'd rather have well cared for used, premium equipment than lower quality new stuff.
TK

Post by TK »

I have a 7' St. Croix that will chuck a swim/jerk bait a country mile. I don't remember what it costs, I have had it for 5+ years. It is a fast action, light/medium and I think it is a tidewater (or something like that). I use it out front at Flamingo, but never bring it back country because 7' rods suck in the tunnels.

I wanted something I could use to throw an un-weighted shrimp at bonefish in Biscayne and this is what I bought. I have a 10+ year old 2500 series Stradic on it with 20lb power pro. I am sure I will have to replace the reel soon. Stradic's suffer from the benign neglect they receive at my house.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

If your wading and you want to get your bait out there...I would definitely look at an 8fter for my rod. Some of the new Wright McGills might be a good place to start. Very reasonably priced if I recall...match it up with a 2500 series reel...me personally I am still in love with my Diawa TDA, just don't think they make them anymore :? Put some 15lb test braid on it and you should be able to pitch that bait a mile :?:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Yea I am looking at a 2000 or 2500 series reel, just not sure what brand. They all have good/bad reviews. I mostly fish out of my canoe and can stand very easily so I typically get good distance. Did some testing with my 7' med action Star rod and I was putting a top water lure 150'+ out but that was standing on dry land and I wasn't trying hard for distance just giving it a good firm toss. Trying to make a typical cast. Problem for me is I want to toss lighter lures (DOA shrimp) and get them way out there. I am happy with my rod and happy with the Penn Sargus reel. Mainly looking for light lures and a lighter reel. My Sargus is a 4000 series and I would like to get lighter.

Read some very bad reviews about the W&M rods. Lots of breaks with the MedLight rods.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

TRKpoker wrote:Yea I am looking at a 2000 or 2500 series reel, just not sure what brand. They all have good/bad reviews. I mostly fish out of my canoe and can stand very easily so I typically get good distance. Did some testing with my 7' med action Star rod and I was putting a top water lure 150'+ out but that was standing on dry land and I wasn't trying hard for distance just giving it a good firm toss. Trying to make a typical cast. Problem for me is I want to toss lighter lures (DOA shrimp) and get them way out there. I am happy with my rod and happy with the Penn Sargus reel. Mainly looking for light lures and a lighter reel. My Sargus is a 4000 series and I would like to get lighter.

Read some very bad reviews about the W&M rods. Lots of breaks with the MedLight rods.
I'm not aware of the issues with the W&M rods...have just seen them in Dicks. The main point I was trying to make is it is amazing what another 6 inches to a foot can make with your casting distance. Your other option is to save your pennies and have Phila make you a custom rod. Well worth the investment :wink:
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Who/what is a Phila? And one your first point if I had another 6"-12" I wouldn't be worrying about casting so much. :thumbleft:
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

TRKpoker wrote:Who/what is a Phila? And one your first point if I had another 6"-12" I wouldn't be worrying about casting so much. :thumbleft:
This is a Phila...also known as Noles. Not a happy man lately as you can tell in that picture :lol: But he builds a beautiful rod. We are fortunate to have him in our midst :!: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... =1&t=37869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also knew I was opening the door to some strange remarks as soon as I posted the advantage of having another 6in on your FISHING rod :lol:
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

OK thanks Norm. I will contact him. And with that extra length it would (at least for me) be called trolling and not casting......just saying.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

This is a Phila...also known as Noles. Not a happy man lately as you can tell in that picture But he builds a beautiful rod. We are fortunate to have him in our midst
Has there been a sighting?
0 0 1
TK

Post by TK »

TRKpoker wrote:Yea I am looking at a 2000 or 2500 series reel, just not sure what brand. They all have good/bad reviews. I mostly fish out of my canoe and can stand very easily so I typically get good distance. Did some testing with my 7' med action Star rod and I was putting a top water lure 150'+ out but that was standing on dry land and I wasn't trying hard for distance just giving it a good firm toss. Trying to make a typical cast. Problem for me is I want to toss lighter lures (DOA shrimp) and get them way out there. I am happy with my rod and happy with the Penn Sargus reel. Mainly looking for light lures and a lighter reel. My Sargus is a 4000 series and I would like to get lighter.

I like Star rods. But a Medium action, unless it has a really soft tip, is not going to do a great job with the baits you are talking about. Since Noles it the resident tod builder, maybe he will chime in and give some guidance.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Here is my $.02 on this. I recently acquired a St. Croix Mojo Inshore rod. It is 7ft medium fast. I really like it. I think the cost was $119. I have it paired with a 2500 seri reps reel. Here is the important part. I only use 10lb braid in it. The lighter line allows you to throw a light bait further.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Yea Manning that was my idea. Going with a 2000 or 2500 series reel. I THINK I have decided on a Quantum Blu PT 2000 reel.

http://www.basspro.com/Quantum-Blu-PTs- ... 050501089/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was planning on going with a 10lb braid maybe a 12lb. Sent Noles a Email and since I am in no hurry I will see what he recomends. Thanks guys.

BTW if anyone has any good/bad comments on the reel let me know I am open to other ideas.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

About the reel. Quantam makes nice reels, no doubt, but they are heavy. When casting artis all day keep in mind the total weight of your rod/reel combo. It all adds up at the end of a long day of casting. That reel is 10 ozs. compared to a static that is 7 ozs.

Most of my light lure rods are medium light/fast action FWIW.

And to the point of casting farther. Maybe with a spoon or topwater when you want to cover territory that is a good thing. Most of the time with a DOA shrimp or even a jig you are casting at certain targets that are usually much closer. You don't need distance in that case you need to place your lure in the right place. You will lose some control with any rod over 7', if you are only seeking distance go 7'6.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Problem is that reel is out of my price range by a long shot. I am seeing prices from 179 to over 200. I am very much wanting to drop oz. off the rod/reel but anything you might recommend that is in the $100 range.

The main reason for the distance is when I was down in Flamingo I came upon a large number of redfish that were single or in paired groups. Everything scared them except when I was able to put a 1/4 oz jig head with a shrimp body past the fish and bring it back into one of them. I will be getting much smaller jigs and smaller shrimp bodies but that will mean a different rod/reel combo. I would also like a 2000-2500 series rod/reel when fishing for trout to get more of a fight but also to be lighter for my elbow which after 6+ hrs of fishing is just getting too painful with the heavier 4000 rod/reel.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Take a look at the Shimano Symetre. It's a pretty solid $100 reel. I have a 2500 and would buy another one.

Differing from the rest, I almost always use 7'6" to 8' rods. I have one 7' rod for casting mangroves. I like the distance the long rods give. Plus you can match the distance of a 7' rod with less effort.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley