Ohero “Carbonado” Kayak Fishing Rod

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Ohero “Carbonado” Kayak Fishing Rod

Post by BigFlyReel »

As much as I love 7’6”and 8’ spinning rods for flats fishing from my kayak, I’ve experienced two issues. The rod butts tend to get in the way when casting from a low seated position, and the leverage of the longer rod takes its toll after hours of casting and “walking the dog” with a topwater plug. Enter Ohero Fishing’s new 7’ “Carbonado” series rods, specifically designed for kayak fishing.

When I first spoke with Sandy Fletcher, the Marketing Director for Lee Fisher International (Ohero’s parent company in Tampa, FL), she was excited about the Carbonado series. Sandy is an accomplished tournament angler who knows her way around fishing gear. Built around an IM-8 graphite blank, the Carbonado weighs in at only 4.5 oz. – great for a long day of fishing from the kayak. The “8 + tip” PacBay stainless steel guide frames with silicon carbide inserts will resist corrosion if you miss some saltwater when rinsing your gear. The EVA foam split grip is a good compromise between comfort and durability, and the shorter butt makes for easier handling when fishing from a seated position.

The Carbonado is certainly a good-looking rod. That will get a buyer to pick it up off the rod rack, but it’s the feel and action that will keep it in the rod holder rather than leaning in the corner of the garage. I balanced the rod with a new Ohero “SG3000” spinning reel. This is a medium power/fast action rod, spec’d for ¼ - ½ oz. baits and 8-12 lb. line, and with the reel spooled with 15 lb. Ohero “Adrena-Line” premium Spectra® braid we hit the water.

My first outing with the Carbonado, I didn’t make a single cast. My son Robert (aka Spooky Dude) was fishing the Addictive Fishing “Weekend Warrior Challenge”, and I was tagging along in a support role. I was interested to see how the Carbonado would fare in the hands of someone still learning the ropes of casting, lure management, and (hopefully) playing decent sized fish in shallow water. Robert is 10, and I was impressed with how much more easily he was able to manage the short butt for casting and working artificials from the kayak cockpit. He threw several different topwaters, spoons, and hard baits with no difficulty, until finally hooking up on a nice redfish on a 1/8 oz. Slayer “Predator XXX” jighead and “Sinister Stick Bait”. The 24” red gave him a good tussle, and I was able to watch the rod – the guide spacing spread the force through the blank perfectly. When the red made a strong run right under the kayak, I thought “Here we go…” and held my breath to see what would happen. The fisherman and rod managed the fish with no issues, and the cloud of graphite shrapnel I had envisioned didn't come to pass.

I’ve had the opportunity to fish the Carbonado on four occasions since the tournament. I, too, have used it to throw the full range of baits in my tackle bag, and have been impressed at casting distances and accuracy that very nearly match my longer rods – especially when seated. Although I haven’t been a fan of split grip designs in the past, I was pleasantly surprised at both the comfort and sensitivity (so much so that I didn’t “notice” the split grip after the first dozen or so casts). I didn’t think the shorter butt would make much of a difference, but it is definitely easier to cast and manage when seated in the kayak. One significant difference, for me, is that after a couple hours of fishing a “walk the dog” topwater my wrist and elbow are much less tired (and painful) than when using the longer, heavier rods.

The Carbonado comes in the following power/action/lure weight/line test combinations:
Medium Light / Moderate / 1/8-3/8 oz. / 6-10 lb.
Medium / Fast / 1/4-1/2 oz. / 8-12 lb.
Medium-Heavy / Fast / 1/4 - 5/8 oz. / 10-17 lb.

At $89.95, the Ohero Carbonado kayak rod is very competitive in appearance, feel, and “fishability” with rods costing more than twice as much. It does well in the hands of kayak anglers of all skill and experience levels. Quality components and excellent construction make for a rod that should give years of solid performance. To shop online go to the Ohero website (http://www.oherofishing.com/fishing-rods/carbonado-rods), or swing up to Tampa Fishing Outfitters and check out the Carbonado series for yourself.
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"