The good guys to the rescue

Rik

The good guys to the rescue

Post by Rik »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365284206.211527.jpg
Not a good pic but that is a dead pelican hanging by fishing line from a mangrove. It was one of 3 dead pelicans on one small island all killed by fishing line. As one of us said "people suck some times".

As I went to take that pic all the birds except one took off. One pelican didn't take off but instead flipped down in the branches as it too was tangled in line.

I called Heywood and Greg "BigFlyReel" over and we formed the Saturday Morning Pelican Rescue Team. If these birds would just understand that we are there to help it would be much easier.

After 10 minutes of wrangling, snipping line and removing a hook from its bill, the pelican swam off. Couldn't fly right away but it's wings did work. Last we saw it she was swimming off testing it's wings every so often.

Btw, a hook in the bill creates a bloody mess!

As I write this, I suspect that Bill is in the emergency room getting checked for pelican HIV, bird mites and bird flu. It's all he could talk about after the episode.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: The good guys to the rescue

Post by DaveR »

A good deed fellas. Thank you.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Well done.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Cough, cough.........wheeeezzzzzzz.

That was a sad picture indeed. Three dead pelicans, one was banded. And to top it off, I lost my trusty Spook JR to a rather feisty snook.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone »

don't worry Heywood, tell me where the snook was and I'll try my best to get that spook back for you :wink:
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

I wore an N95 mask the whole ride home in Bill's truck...
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Unfortunately a lot of times these things are avoidable and the fisherman caused this to happen by cutting the line thinking that somehow the pelican will free himself, of course add to that people feeding the birds their catch at the pier and you have a recipe for disaster.

Good job guys.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve