BISHOP HARBOR AREA

MLB01

BISHOP HARBOR AREA

Post by MLB01 »

Has anyone fished Bishop Harbor South Tampa Bay. Was going to check it out this weekend. Any suggestions or info would be great.

Thanks
Yamon

Re: BISHOP HARBOR AREA

Post by Yamon »

How did it go?. I have been planning on heading over here as well. Would be nice for someone to chime in.......
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Was not able to get out there this wekend. I am going to try it out this week, possibly tomorrow, Tuesday. I will post a report on the area. If anyone is interested in joining me pleae let me know.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Used to fish it often. Generally would bare right after leaving the channel and work my way down the far shore. Topwater bite was good for snook and reds. If the tide is low in the morning and winds are light I would go straight outside and look for tailers.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

DaveR wrote:Used to fish it often. Generally would bare right after leaving the channel and work my way down the far shore. Topwater bite was good for snook and reds. If the tide is low in the morning and winds are light I would go straight outside and look for tailers.
You were fishing naked?
Please, call me Kate
Rik

Post by Rik »

DaveR wrote:Used to fish it often. Generally would bare right after leaving the channel and work my way down the far shore. Topwater bite was good for snook and reds. If the tide is low in the morning and winds are light I would go straight outside and look for tailers.
I agree with Dave except I bear right except when he bares right. When he does that, I go left. Quickly.

Hells Half Acre can be productive in one specific area.

If you're an adventurous type, there is a small creek entrance by Kitchen Key (Google Earth is your friend!) that leads back into some lakes and a newly reclaimed area. Keep going and you can go all the way to Terra Ceia Bay after crossing under I-275

And here's another suggestion - ask about places before the weekend. The folks you were hoping would give you some input were all out fishing by the time you asked.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Thank you for info. Yes you are right next time will post before weekend trip
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Inside creeks and backwaters for Snook late fall through Spring.
Outside flats for Reds all year round, but particularly good from July onwards.
Incoming for Redfish - Outgoing for Snook.
Either tide as long as it is moving for Trout, they can be found throughout the middle water in the harbor.
Dark jigs on 1/8 oz Jighead inside the harbor or small topwaters, top or she pup are my favorites

Gold or Silver Spoon or Unweighted Jerkbait on the outside flats for the Reds. You will catch more reds by wading than being in the kayak, these fish are spooky and they will push right in on very skinny water, less than 8", trying to paddle will give yourself away before you get close enough to cast.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Funny how free we are with info these days. It's a good thing.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MLB01

Post by MLB01 »

Great information. Thank you
deano7190

Post by deano7190 »

if you stay inside bishops and can beat motored boats to it early enough the oyster bars always hold snook and reds and the shore by the beached sailboat will produce also; its funny how bishops harbor is pressured so hard but yet still produces, oh well happy fishing!