Off Shore Mothership Trip

Flamingo to Big Bend
Heywood

Off Shore Mothership Trip

Post by Heywood »

This past Wednesday, July 10th six of us chartered the “Fish Taxi” captained by Ryan Wagner out of the Salt Rock Grill for some off shore action. The targets would be grouper, AJ’s, snapper or just whatever was biting. Joining me would be my good friend Mark Watanabe, Rusty Driver, Rob Devore, Edward Ratanun and Tyler Peterson. Arriving before our schedule launch time of 7am, we quickly loaded the 32” Sabalos and made a short trip down the ICW, stopping just short of Johns Pass for fuel. Once done with that we headed out the pass for our 20 mile trip out into the Gulf.

Once out there we made a few attempts on a couple spots, but found ourselves quickly drifting off the fish, so we loaded the kayaks back on a made another short run to an area with a larger bottom structure. The capt then anchored the boat and threw a trailing line off the back, which we tied off to. The reasoning behind this was to keep us over the fish and so we wouldn’t drift and drag the fish with us. If that happened, the fish would scatter off the spot and the bite would die off. So once in position we dropped our baits, which consisted of either cut or whole sardines and live pinfish and the fight, was on. One Red Grouper after another. You had to go through 20 or 30 short ones to get one that was legal to keep, that being larger than 20”s.

This was the custom knocker rig we were using.

Just about the time to load up and make the run home, we ran out of bait. Which was ok as most of us were dog tired from catching so many grouper. It’s hard to describe how hard of a fight a 19” grouper can put up. Without being able to use your back and legs, it puts a strain on your arms and we were all pretty tired at this point. So we loaded up and made the run back to Indian Shores and the Salt Rock.

Would I do it again, sure would. We had a great time. I would like to fish an area with a bit more variety next time, something with a bit more structure rather than the spongy bottom we ended up on. I found getting in and out of my Hurricane Phoenix 14 was very easy. It was no trouble at all to load my milk crate and camera from the side of the boat. I think it’s best to plan out a trip with your fellow anglers and minimize the gear you intend to bring, that way it makes loading and unloading much quicker.

Anyway, it was a blast. Baked grouper was delicious. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Re: Off Shore Mothership Trip

Post by Rik »

Good stuff Bill.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Looks like fun. No big a.j.s huh?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Looks like a sweet trip Bill... but how can you not be happy about the location sounds like the Grouper wore you out.

Who makes that custom knocker rig and where ya find them ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

Loved the pics Bill. Great stuff man.
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

Great time for sure. I'm already working on our East coast mothership trip.
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Serious question, why fish from the kayak? Seems like a lot of extra work to say you caught a grouper from your kayak. Now, if you would have paddled out there on your own.....
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

22acrowd wrote:Serious question, why fish from the kayak? Seems like a lot of extra work to say you caught a grouper from your kayak. Now, if you would have paddled out there on your own.....

Predictable to the end. :lol:

Why did we do it? Because we could.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Loading and unloading all that gear to catch some grouper seems a little too hardcore for my tastes. Happy for you though.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

22acrowd wrote:Serious question, why fish from the kayak? Seems like a lot of extra work to say you caught a grouper from your kayak. Now, if you would have paddled out there on your own.....
I've mothershipped with my son. People asked the same thing...for us it was about covering more water with more lines. The assumption here is that you're going in the stinkpot to start out.

Throwing 1-2 kayaks in a 17' CC actually isn't that big a deal. You already have everything else - just get the boats overboard when you stop and you're good to go. Course I don't have a 100lb Pro Angler...just a couple simple kayaks in the 60-70lb range.

The only real concern I would have is hooking into something that bring the men in grey around. I like being on the top of the food chain. This summer I've had 2 nice gags swiped in the CC. One by a 8' Bull (who circled the boat wondering where the head went) and another unknown size shark. All I know is I couldn't turn it.

Dunno...seems I have a propensity for these guys...kayak or not.
JB
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

jbdba01 wrote:
I've mothershipped with my son. People asked the same thing...for us it was about covering more water with more lines. The assumption here is that you're going in the stinkpot to start out.

Throwing 1-2 kayaks in a 17' CC actually isn't that big a deal. You already have everything else - just get the boats overboard when you stop and you're good to go. Course I don't have a 100lb Pro Angler...just a couple simple kayaks in the 60-70lb range.

The only real concern I would have is hooking into something that bring the men in grey around. I like being on the top of the food chain. This summer I've had 2 nice gags swiped in the CC. One by a 8' Bull (who circled the boat wondering where the head went) and another unknown size shark. All I know is I couldn't turn it.

Dunno...seems I have a propensity for these guys...kayak or not.
I'm all for mothershipping. It makes sense for places like the Everglades and Chandeleur Islands. Still question why anyone would want to mothership for grouper. Just seems like a giant waste of energy.