Sabalo 2500 vs....

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Sabalo 2500 vs....

Post by jbdba01 »

So it looks like I'm in the market for a new reel and figured I would throw this out there.

I like 2000/2500 series reels (mainly due to the weight), but I am willing to look at 3000 series as long as they hover around the 9-10 oz range and have about 6# of drag.

I'm willing to put in about $125 - maybe a touch more.

What are your thoughts on the replacement or what would you recommend?

More than likely the reel will get dunked 1-2 times a year wade fishing.

Usual criteria - inshore fishing, used weekly, probably put on 20# Ohero line on a 7'6" rod.
JB
FishingSarasota

Re: Sabalo 2500 vs....

Post by FishingSarasota »

I've been hearing good things about the Okuma RTX. The 30 is only 6.6oz and has 13lbs of drag. The retail is stated at $99.99, but they can be found much cheaper (i.e. Walmart online has them for around $70)

Here's a link to their website showing more information.
http://www.okumafishing.com/product/vie ... ning-1/rtx

Also, there is a free hoodie offer. Winter is coming.
https://www.okumafishing.com/assets/new ... e-form.jpg
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

I really like the Sabalos, but in the 3000 size. Little more line, little larger diameter spool. I like what that does for the drag physics.

Greg
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Yup - I have the 3000 as well. Good reel. May end up going that way, but I am curious to see if there are any other recommendations.

Shimano Stradic seems to be the high end of where I want to look and I hear that they are good.
JB
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I am a huge fan of my Stradic 2500FI's. You can still find them new in a few places online. I have 2 fi's that I have been using for about 4 years. I have had to replace a couple of bearings along the way, but I think that is to be expected. In total, I have 6 including both 2500's and 3000's of them that I rotate around; sending a couple at a time to get serviced. I prefer the handle that comes on the 2500 to the one on the 3000. I dont have much experience with the newer Stradic FJ', but they seem to be putting more and more plastic components in with every new model. I'm not completely opposed to the plastic pieces, but they are typically the first to fail.
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Im in the market for a new rod and reel myself, what would you pair up the sabalos 3000 with?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I know it's heavier than you like but I'll let you know how I like that Spinfisher 3500 after Christmas.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I agree with ChrisR on the Stradics. I have one FI, two FJ's and one CI all of which have been excellent reels. They have the best drag I've seen, and are crazy smooth. The FJ in that size would be a few more bucks than your target price. While I love them, mine do not get anywhere near the use that yours do so I cant give a good assessment on the longevity. Good luck!
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Just purchased my second Sabalo's reel. Love it. The first I bought at the original release date. I think its end is near but I have never taken care of it and never had a problem either.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

hector_750 wrote:Im in the market for a new rod and reel myself, what would you pair up the sabalos 3000 with?
For $100 or less ($10/$20 coupons at Dick's Sporting Goods) - Wright & McGill 7'6 or 7'9" rod or 7'6" St Croix Mojo Inshore. I don't like the silly camo blue but the feel of the rods and the pairing with a Sabalo 2500/3000 is good.

The Wright McGill has a lifetime warranty - I've replaced one for I believe it was $30 (shipping, processing...). Pretty much no questions asked - I snapped a tip. Just have the receipt.

The St. Croix is a bit stiffer and better for top water - IMHO.

If I had to choose one - Wright & McGill.

From the museum of what it's worth...I was talking Capt John Hand last week and ironically he had some Penn Battles and they broke pretty quickly. Now he fishes Stradic exclusively. He's looking at some new fangle Fortitude reel and he'll be testing them out shortly. $500. (Lifetime warranty). They do not offer a 3000 series though.
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Star rods have a lifetime over the counter warranty. A hundred bucks. It will be my next spinner.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

ChrisR wrote:I am a huge fan of my Stradic 2500FI's. You can still find them new in a few places online. I have 2 fi's that I have been using for about 4 years. I have had to replace a couple of bearings along the way, but I think that is to be expected. In total, I have 6 including both 2500's and 3000's of them that I rotate around; sending a couple at a time to get serviced. I prefer the handle that comes on the 2500 to the one on the 3000. I dont have much experience with the newer Stradic FJ', but they seem to be putting more and more plastic components in with every new model. I'm not completely opposed to the plastic pieces, but they are typically the first to fail.
Xmas Amazon card made buying a 3000 more palatable. It's on it's way.
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Btw. Been out a couple times with my ssv3500 Spinfishers. I have two of them. Love em. Weight is not at all an issue. Drag is phenomenal and casting 15lb braid is a breeze. That being written, there is a problem. Some of the early ones have a slight knock when reeling with a load on the reel. Like retrieving a spinnerbait or spoon. Without a load its as smooth as silk. Penn is aware of the problem and has a fix for it. (A shim). They sent me a UPS mailer and I will send it in for repair.
I hope to get many years out of em.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Edward

Post by Edward »

I got a Wright McGill Victory ($60 on sale) from my daughter Xmas 2012. I would have never bought something that cheap but obviously had to use it. I was surprised, it feels much more expensive and I would get another. It has had one through dunking with no side effects.

There isn't much talk about Pflueger. I got one as a Xmas gift from 2011 from a friend of my daughter and I had to use. Something that sold in the $125 range. It's a very good looking and a high quality reel and a brand to look at when comparing others.

Maybe, Xmas 2014 somebody will ask me what I want. I asked for a Quantum Smoke 2013 Xmas and got a designer pair of non-polarized sunglasses. Oh well, I do look good driving around town.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

DaveR wrote:Star rods have a lifetime over the counter warranty. A hundred bucks. It will be my next spinner.
Good choice Dave.
I have had about 9 or 10 Star rods over the last 20 years.
Never broke a rod, tip, or reel seat on any of them and you know how many fish I catch;)
The heavy grouper and tarpon rods were glass but the graphite spinners feel just a sensitive as my Loomis and they are much more durable.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Paired up the Panns with a couple log Star Seagis. Love em.

"SANCTUARY!!!"