Change in fishing tactics for winter fishing?

hector_750

Change in fishing tactics for winter fishing?

Post by hector_750 »

This will be my first winter saltwater fishing, really enjoyed it all summer around Ft. Desoto targeting reds,snook and trout! Is there a big change in the way I should fish for these same species during the colder months?? Thanks in Advance!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Change in fishing tactics for winter fishing?

Post by DaveR »

The lower water levels and cleaner water make sight fishing easier. It also affords you the opportunity to study the terrain that is most often under a foot or two of water in the summer. You will have a shot at some big trout now. Some approaching 30"s. Pleas put the big girls back. :)
Look for those morning low tides and calmer winds to try and find tailing redfish. Once you hook your first one you'll become addicted.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Thanks for the tip, really appreciate it.! I need all the help and advice I can get when it comes to saltwater fishing! Hopefully I can join some of you guys out on the water!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Slower presentations
Lighter leader (when Snook are not likely)
Dark bottom (warmer) darker lure colors
Creeks and Rivers
Deep holes

Some of the things I focus on during winter
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

John is right. For a change of pace explore the area's rivers. Many big snook will winter in them. That is not the place for light leader however. 30lb or even 40. If not fly fishing I almost exclusively use a small plastic on a jig head. I have caught most of my big snook in rivers.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I usually just break out the long sleeve shirt

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

All that plus smaller baits too. Fish are cold blooded and will feed when it is cold but, will exert less effort to catch food and it costs them energy to digest a large meal. Smaller bait worked at a slower pace will be more attractive.

Good Luck.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
rich

Post by rich »

Main thing to remember is slow it down if you think you are going slow enough slow it down some more. I like to dead stick top water plugs walking the dog side to side real slow.
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

That is some useful stuff, thank you all very much, I like using live bait so I will go smaller and slower!(that's what she said) :scratch:
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Don't dismiss big baits completely - winter is big trout time and they love a large topwater. Also if your fishing docks and structure a shrimp pattern dragged along the bottom can be very effective.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Anything out on the beach this time of year??