Wilderness Systems Tarpon 14
60%
Malibu Extreme
19%

Total votes: 53

MG

Which is the best fishing kayak?

Post by MG »

Am moving to Terra Ceia area this weekend. Have never kayak fished before but have been researching available models on the web. House I will occupy is on a canal so will not have to load kayak in / on vehicle. Have narrowed it down to three kayaks- Malibu Extreme, Tarpon 14, and Hobie Outback Mirage. Has anyone used these models? Any suggestions as to which one might be best?

Also, salesman told story of dolphins bumping hobie mirage outback (because of pedal drive) and kayaker falling in water (multiple occasions). Truth or Myth??

Thanks in advance for any info.

MG
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

Have you looked into the Ocean Kayak Prowler? I just bought one this summer and really enjoy it.
noles

Post by noles »

My sister leaves out on Terra Ceia and so I have a personal launch into Miguel Bay. You're moving to a great area with plenty of options when it comes to fishing. Now to which kayak...I personally can't comment on the Hobie or Mirage but you can't go wrong with the Tarpon 140. My buddy has the 140 and he loves his. I have the shorter verson; the 120. I love this boat! The 140 probably tracks better than the 120 and is a bit heavier. I think what you need to do is try out all three models and then decide on the one that "fits" you best. Good luck and if you see a sand Tarpon 120 out in Miguel Bay, stop by and say HI.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Don't forget the perception bimini, also a very nice fishing kayak. I have a perception prism and am getting a malibu extreme soon.

I also have a personal launch in Terra Ceia, let me know as I fish out of there often. I can bring both yaks down and you could try them out.
noles

Post by noles »

There goes the neighborhood..... :lol:
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I have a Perception Illusion now, going to be fishing from a Malibu eXtreme as well. They are all nice boats. I actually like the new Hobie (not peddle drive) better than the older boats they make from what I have seen. Never been in the 140 (120 or 160 for that matter) but have an older Pungo from WS that I really like, but certainly that is a popular boat.

As said, try them all because what is important to one, may not be important to the other. What drove me to the Malibu was the overall deck design, storage and stability. I am not into racing, so speed was less important. Since I use it as a mode of transportation to get from A to B to fish, I worry less about paddling ability. Although I am not convinced it is that much slower than my Perception.

Since you do not have to haul your kayak, that makes life a little easier. That may sway your decision once you try different models. Still waiting for that sub 50 lb 14 ft plus kayak to come out. So try different ones, there are many more options than just a few years ago. You are certainly heading in the right direction with any of those. And will enjoy which ever one you decide on buying.

And I fish wish Toddlle out there on occassion, very nice and look forward to seeing you on the water. Now there really goes the neighborhood!
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

For me, 2 words.
"Perception Bimini"
Ahhhhhhhh......
DayFisher
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I'd say perception bimini followed by a "regular" tarpon 160.
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

I paddle a WS Ride. It works well over here but our water conditions are different. My wife has a Scupper Pro TW. I go out about once a week and I don't think the wind was ever below 15 mph.
Larry
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate!
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

I have a Drifter by Ocean it is very stable I move all over it at times and feel secure no to tip it. With all that stability it probably isn't the fastest yak on the water. Paddlaroun aka Dan "The Man" R
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

The model doesn't matter as long as it's "YELLOW"
fishdawg

Post by fishdawg »

Give several models a try. I did when I was shopping. If you are going to be paddling some distances, I'd to with a longer yak. After I demo'd several models (Tarpon, Necky Dolphin, Ocean Kayak Prowler and Drifter), the Prowler won hands down. The new models have a couple of design changes that I'd love to have on my year old Prowler.
t_bare

Post by t_bare »

I've got two Outbacks.

I could easily be lured out to where you are with a small beer bribe. And you can fish an Outback if you like.

I am in South Tampa not too far. I have got a bad case of haven't gone fishin' fever and need to go!

I like the Outback because I do not have to paddle it, this comes in quite handy while fishing dock lights at night. You can manuver the boat while fighting fish! (In opposed to get drug into the dock) You can also tie knots/leaders while underway. Or you can do as I do and have your rods rigged and just keep on enjoying frosty cold beverages while you troll a line fom spot to spot.

t_bare
lconn4

Post by lconn4 »

perception Illusion, waiting for shop to open to pick it up this morning.
let the wind be your friend
TK

Post by TK »

I have a perception prism and a tarpon 140. The perception has a sturdier hull, is much quieter in the water and handles chop significantly better than the t-140.

The t-140 is lighter, the cockpit layout is much better and it has a tankwell. I can stand in the t-140 a trick I would not try in the perception (becuse of the cockpit layout).

The best among the three kayaks you listed is the one that you are most comfortable paddling. Most folks will recommend you buy the kayak they paddle.

Try'em all and you decide. If I followed all the advice I got when buying my first yak, I would have purchased a scupper pro TW because that was the hot kayak then (like the tarpon is now). I bought the perception because it was most comfortable for me.
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

If space and transporting them weren't an issue...I'd choose the T140. It was an issue with me, so I went with the T120 and love it. :)
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime