Live Target Scaled Sardine

Flamingo to Big Bend
fishshooter99

Live Target Scaled Sardine

Post by fishshooter99 »

I'm preparing for one of my 3 or 4 trips a year to Anna Maria in three weeks. I have several friends that fish North Florida a good bit that swear by Live Target Scaled Sardine lures. Anyone ever give them a shot down that way? In the Spring, I found a bone colored spook jr. and lil John in golden bream particularly effective. I'll be there for two weeks and hope to get to fish a good bit despite the required family vacation requirements.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Rik

Re: Live Target Scaled Sardine

Post by Rik »

On the Live Target - change out the hooks!!! The hooks they come with are light weight junk. But they do work well once you do that
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Seems to me that the loose grass/sea snot started to increase. I would have something weedless in the bullpen.

FWIW - I swap out the treble hooks on the top water with single circle hooks - works fine and does not affect the action on the Spook or other large plugs. I have not done that with a swim bait though.
JB
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

jbdba01 wrote:Seems to me that the loose grass/sea snot started to increase. I would have something weedless in the bullpen.
this times a million
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Rik wrote:On the Live Target - change out the hooks!!! The hooks they come with are light weight junk. But they do work well once you do that
It is amazing that these companies can't put good hooks on their lures. My favorite top water on the flats is a bone colored one knocker, but the hooks and rings they come with suck. The first thing I do when I buy new ones is replace the hooks and trash the factory ones. What a waste.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Grand slammed with a Live Target. Great baits but Rik is right about the hooks. Oh, and crimp the barbs, you'll thank me some day.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Deek »

what type of Hook would you recommend for replacement?
Jackson, Big Rig
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Some type of 3x the same size as what's on em.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.