Tarpon Fishing... I Love It

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Tarpon Fishing... I Love It

Post by Manning »

Since the middle of May I have made over 20 trips to the beach to go tarpon fishing. That is 20 times of getting up at 4:30 in the morning, loading up all my stuff, driving 30 minutes to the beach, unloading all the stuff, launching in the dark, sabiking up some bait and then sitting out there for three hours or so. I then paddle back to the beach, load my stuff back on the car, drive the 30 minutes home, unload and rinse off all my equipment. Until yesterday morning all this effort had resulted in just two jumped fish. One that broke my hook in two on the second jump and the other spit the bait after the first jump.

Then yesterday DaveR and I jumped 6 fish in the span of less than an hour. Dave jumped 4 and landed two. I one jumped the first fish and the second one I fought for about 7 minutes. The hook pulled when I had the fish almost at the boat. So, after all this effort I still do not have a glory shot of me holding up a tarpon this year, but I still love to do this.

Here is a not so great picture of Dave and tarpon #2 from yesterday.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Re: Tarpon Fishing... I Love It

Post by Rik »

Well, it would seem that they are finished with their annual carnal adventures and have decided to eat. I guess a pinfish is their version of a ham sandwich. Don't tell my boss but when I call in sick on Friday I will actually be out soaking ham sandwiches.

Good stuff guys!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

my two hits yesterday came on a ham sandwich. I think Dave's 4 hits came on pickles (greenbacks).
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Cigar minnow and pinner. Frankly, it appears that if they are in the mood to eat they ain't finicky.
Flew em this year on pinfish, grunt, cigar minnow, and greenbacks.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

:razz: 30 minutes to the beach!! You live in Arcadia? The gas is the long thin peddle on the right.
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

shamus wrote::razz: 30 minutes to the beach!! You live in Arcadia? The gas is the long thin peddle on the right.
He's including the time he stops at 7-11 for coffee and to flirt with the lady behind the counter.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I'm on the blue/pass crab bandwagon. In 2 hours we stunk it up going 0-8, but it sure was fun watching the fish fly. Some lost on the jump, some snapped the line, some frayed the leader.

Granted we were in yea ol' stinkpot in a place frequented by a ton of other Tampa anglers.

That said I know that blue crabs work on the beach. They'll probably be expensive if you buy them.

The rest of the poon for the season were on pin/threads - frequented by yet more anglers but on the beach near a pass. I would say that was another 6 or 7.

Unfortunately I'll be out of the state the next couple weekends - I suspect it'll be on fire again.

Don't see getting one in the kayak this year...again, but overall a very good year.
JB