Sunday morning fishing

Rik

Sunday morning fishing

Post by Rik »

Paddled away from the beach into almost complete darkness as I headed west from the beach. Having utmost faith that there is no edge to paddle off of and that the sun will rise, I was going out in search of the mighty pinfish - or anything else that might stick itself on my sabiki. Except catfish. I didn't want catfish.

After the previous morning catch of numerous filet sized grunts, I even had some thought of a fish fry lunch. Yes, grunts. Try them, bet you can't tell the difference between them and snapper. An old Florida Cracker, with a capital C, taught me that years ago. Actually, he fed me that to teach me a lesson.

After filling my bait bucket, please excuse my use of ugly language there, I set up in hopes of flying a large silver fish. You can see in the pic below that there was another guy out there in relatively close proximity.

Barnacle and I waited, he chewing on a squirrelfish, until, suddenly, my rod bent over and away we went. The sleigh ride was brief and then the fish decided it wanted to be right under the kayak the whole time. Yep, shark. Decent fight but when you're looking for tarpon, a 3.5 foot sand shark just doesn't quite get it.

After another bit of waiting my float again quickly disappeared and the line came tight. And just as quickly it was loose and I reeled in a fish that was now mush in a scaly bag. A tarpon had smashed it and somehow avoided the 8/0 hook that dearly wanted to impale itself in the tarpon's jaw.

Other than a few moments of excitement, It was just a lazy morning floating in the gulf. Darn nice way to greet the sunrise. Was off the water by 9:45 to beat the oncoming heat of the day.

OH, yeah, and DaveR caught a tarpon

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Sunday morning fishing

Post by DaveR »

Thanks for the assit Rik!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Sunday morning fishing

Post by Manning »

Wait, wait you didn't tell the part about the girl coming by on a paddle board with her dog to say hello. Please describe her to me.

Nice job Dave, AGAIN!
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve