Choice of colors?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

I drive a slate blue WS T120, and yes the yellow colors are slower. No reason that I picked that color other then it caught my eye.
I have had fish jump right next to the yak and I've hooked up fish within a few feet of my yak. Personal opion, color doesn't matter except for personal preference.
Same with wading....standing still in the water I've had reds, trout swim right between my legs oblivious to me.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

I have an orange T-120. The reason got an orange one was because it was used one time, decked out for fishing, came with a PFD and a Werner paddle for $675.00. I feel very fortunate because at that time I was unaware of just how slow yellow yaks are.

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
OTTERMAN

Post by OTTERMAN »

I drive a yellow/red kind of peach like Spectrum Solo. The color choice will be a factor when color cordinating, what to wear. The flashier the better. The Solo is a Solo boat, tested last weekend. With 2 up the scupper holes took on water and she wanted to roll. I'm now looking for a tandom for a second yak. I think white would be nice, you dont see any, and would be cool (cooler) in the summer. You can wear anything with white. When you look good you feel marvelous. 8)
slate

Post by slate »

I also have a slate T120. I chose the dark color because I thought it would hide that scum coating it collected around the mangroves. I don't ever recall noticing it getting hot.
Scott
CrackerYak
Location: SOTE-Bradenton, Fl (Formerly Myakkakayak, Moved to Town)

Post by CrackerYak »

I have a Blue 140, and a Slate 120..The slate does get a slight bit warmer to touch but nothing worth not buying for if you like that color...If and when I buy again it will be the sand of khaki...That is a nice looking boat color...I got my blue thinking of visibility...Not sure if it realy makes a difference though..
(Formerly MyakkaKayak, Moved to Town)
Scotty
"I have never caught a fish my entire life"
Tarpon 140 Blue - Mine
Tarpon 120 Slate - Wifes
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I have a yellow kayak, and a gray kayak, and the yellow one is faster than the gray one.

I've also had rolling tarpon come close enough to the yellow one that I could have touched them, so I don't think fish are scared of bright colors.

As far as visibility, that's half the reason I got the yellow one. But if there is any kind of chop on the water at all, it pretty much disappears. I've noticed that you can see paddle blades a lot easier from a distance than the kayak itself. So if you're worried about that, get yellow or white blades. I've had a boat come up on me fast and not see me til I started waving the paddle. He got that signal ok.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I have the Olive, I like it because it's low key, as for boaters seing you, I think paddle color is more important to increase visibility.

I've never put my hand on my kayak and thought, "Ow,that's hot!"

I like the drab subtle color's, probably my next kayak will be the sand color. The reason being , because i like the color!

Get what color you like and don't sweat the other stuff, none of it's really that important.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

You like drab cuz it reminds you of a place on the other side of the pond. bbbwwwaaahahahahahahaha

fuzz
I was impressed, that the older I got, the more patient I became. Turns out, I just don't give a shit.

230 ==> 215
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

:lol: :( :lol: :oops:
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

I just got my new mango (orange and yellow blend) for several reasons.

1. It is the same color as my first yak!

2. They dont make the bluegrass color anymore (the color for only the best people to have that is why no one else had one like mine and I hope the bastard that stole it tips over and just before he drowns a a shark with very dull teeth comes up and removes his genitals) but I degress

3. Wilderness systems is getting ready to screw up and not make twin hatched tarpon 160 any longer

4. Because mine has some yellow in it I will slap a logo on it and deduct its cost as an advertising expense. Same with the yellow blade paddle drift chute etc. etc.
Kingwood Kayaker

Post by Kingwood Kayaker »

For those of us that fished the EEF in Rockport last May, we all learned that kayaks are not just transportation, but they are also very valuable as survival gear.

I own a sand ride and blue tarpon 120. I love both yaks, but now that I've been through the storm, I wouldn't have any of those colors again.

Yellow and Orange are the only two colors I will purchase from now on.

When the visibility is down, the rain is down, the wind is howling 75MPH, and you're stuck in the mangroves, being seen is exactly what you want!! First hand-experience shows that Red, Blue, Tan, Olive, Green, none of those show up like Orange and Yellow.

Phil
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

Phil: They need to know also that when the waves are whitecapping, a white paddle blade disappears and ,as John found, a duck blind can be a life saver.
Larry
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate!
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I was never in need of a duck blind my friend, Ray H and I made our own way in that day! :wink:
Truth be known, having the right color yak was a very last resort, for those caught out, without all the other correct gear!

I still don't see the need to pick any color other than the one you like, what ever it may be! :lol:
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

Different John! He spent about 3 hrs. in a duck blind on Brown & root flats. And you're right about the emergency gear. It's embarassing to list all the stuff I bought after that day. I even have a VHF radio now. I look forward to seeing all of you again. If there's anything I can do to help, just holler.
Larry
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate!
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Get the bright colored yellow/orange/red one if you want to be found by the search and rescue party.

Get the earth tones should you choose to hide amongst the mangroves from the guvmint! :wink:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
RyanOC

Post by RyanOC »

yum yum yellow :lol:

The sharks will like you more with yellow!
go check the weather.... http://www.inetspace.com/weather