Pick a New Kayak

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this question. After looking at lots of different boats, brother will be getting a Malibu X-Factor this weekend, (in mango). The deciding factor was that one day he could borrow my boat and his wife could paddle the Malibu which affords great stability and with the large rear tank well she could bring along her little cocker spaniel, we just love those little yappers out on the water don't we? :roll: I want to get him into the Osprey Bay NMT coming up, hope to see ya'll there.
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Of late, I have been using one of these. It paddles as good as it looks and standing is as easy in this boat as on land, even in a slight chop.

www.blueheronkayak.com
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

What pretty cool about Dave's new Blue Heron boat is that if you can't go fishing that day, you can draw a target on the bottom of it and throw darts at it :shock:

I did see his the other day and I am going to have to try it one sometime. Looks like a very comfortable ride. Almost like a lounge chair in it that you could position different ways....
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Tpro1

Post by Tpro1 »

I just bought the new Hobie Quest. I have taken it out twice and to date it is my favorite kayak. Very well thought out as a fishing yak. Anyone thinking of purchasing a kayak should check this one out first.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_quest.html

I'm sure I'm headed in the right direction.
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

It is a nice boat Tpro. Have paddled it myself. Can't get past the toilet seat front hatch though. :roll:
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

LOL Dave. What's the cost as shown and how does the seat compare to high end aftermarket seats?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Ray H

Post by Ray H »

And does it come in Titanium? :roll:
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

LOL. Expensive? Yes. Will you ever need to worry about scratches or , if in the oft chance you like the kayak- need to replace it? No. It will last a lifetime with proper maintainence.

The seat adjusts from a straight up, aggressive posture all the way down to a "nap time posture". I'll let ya paddle it Mr. R and Mr. Curmudge.......I mean Ray.

Now if it where only yellow........Maybe lime green..............
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I was looking for the price of the Quest.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Fine you elitist, Curmudgeon! :D :lol: :shock: You can dance the jig in the Quest, nice tankwell. Like the center hatch. Toilet seat front hatch has to go though. :wink: No offense Tpro.
Tpro1

Post by Tpro1 »

Hey DaveR The price on it $799 to include the paddle and seat. The hatch is designed as it is to allow access while in the kayak which works very well.It is hinged in the front w/ a bungee strap that goes across the back to keep it secure. Very accommodating.
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

Does it come with a compass too? :wink:
Last edited by Dirty Dave on Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tpro1

Post by Tpro1 »

Thanks Dave I never noticed it till you mentioned it.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Toilet seat...hmmmmmmmm........time for another name change?

TP - Row

fuzz
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/reviews.html

This is a detailed review of most of the fishing yaks on the market by the Ft. Lauderdale Kayak Club.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.