Why did you get into Paddle Fishing?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
loukiii

Why did you get into Paddle Fishing?

Post by loukiii »

This should be an interesting thread.

Im sure we all have our reasons. Some might be because they like paddling for excercise, the commune with nature, for financial reasons, comradery or a mixture of all of the above.

I did it because I really like fishing. My buddy has a boat that he bought with a friend of his and everytime we wanted to go the other guy wanted the boat too. So I bought a boat so we could go out when his partner was using their boat and while I enjoyed it, it was really a pain in the rearend. Always fixing and replacing and washing and repairing...on and on.

I sold my boat because I figure if I want to go fishing on a boat I can go with my buddy on his schedule permitting...or hire a charter.

Now I am glad I did it. I enjoy the peace and quiet of being out on the calm water as the sun comes up, watching the mullet jump and all the birds along the shoreline. I look forward to sharing these moments with those close to me like my wife and children as they get older. I still havent got the the point where I am strictly catch and release as my family and I enjoy a good meal of fresh fish on occasion and there is a certain satisfaction in bringing home a fish and watching the kids get all excited.

Now I am going to have to get another kayak for my wife or the ocasional visitor I want to take fishing and a canoe so I can take my kids out for a paddle.

Ill probably get another powerboat someday. But Im not in a big hurry anymore. And it will probably be something for going offshore. (Although I have been reading about these superyaks that guys are taking offshore down south......)
Stalkin' Reds

Post by Stalkin' Reds »

It is all noles' fault. I have fished out of flats boats for years. Nothing beats $50 in gas, plus a 30-45 min beat the hell out of you ride across Tampa Bay only to get out and wade. Needless to say I took about a 2 year hiatus (baby and fishing buddy left town) then I went out with noles and his kayak and canoe. I loved the simplicity of it. Only 2 things can f-up a trip now, forget the boat or forget the paddle.
I find half the fun is just getting on the water. No gas, no props and oyster bars, no stuck in the mud, no trailers to break, screw the anchor on the gel coat, no electronics to break, no dead batteries, no new clutches b/c of bad ramps, no boat storage issues, no MP inspections (well less likely), no idle speed only, no manatee warning areas, to name a few things.
Now I get in my Man-go fish catching machine and snag mangroves, hit oyster bars and get just as wet as before at pennies on the dollar, plus exercise. That is all I have to say about that.
"Your lack of preparation does not constitute an emergency on my part."

T-140 (Mango)
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Prior to my addiction to paddle fishing, I always enjoyed paddling a canoe…mainly down rivers. The times that I would go saltwater fishing was mainly with my father-in-law, out on a boat and even then…I wasn’t that crazy about fishing…I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t something I had to do. Anyway, I never put paddling and fishing together, until one day I wanted to rent a kayak and I thought I would bring a rod with me. I got to the shop and was surprised that the kayak had rod holders. :shock: Hmmm, pretty neat idea. Well…that’s all it took. That day, if I remember correctly, I landed four nice size redfish and I’ve been hooked ever since. There’s just something about being self sufficient out on the water and catching fish. It’s hard to describe in words. One with nature, I guess? Now, it seems like all I think about is when I can get out on the water and do some paddle fishing! A funny note, I introduced my f-i-l to yak fishing and he enjoyed it so much and found out he was getting on the water more frequently …he sold his boat. :lol:
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

Neil said chicks dig it.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Sheer laziness. There's a lot to be said for being able to go from loading to being on the water in 15 minutes, and being able to unload and clean up in under 10.

Incidentally, that's same reason (sloth) that I don't stop for bait :)
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

As I grew older and more and more of my friends got married (and then were no longer allowed to socialize with their old buddies) I had fewer and fewer fishing buddies. Most were lost to soccer games karate practice and yard work on the weekends.

I being the single with no kids (no I will never understand) for years thought about getting either a canoe or kayak to fish from.

I origionally got it to experience a quiter more intimte relationship with the outdoors. The look of the water like a billion sparkling dimonds when the sun is high, the colors of a Rosette Spoonbill being painted by the amber hues of a waning sunset, and the sqeals and screaches of a pair of Ospreys as they dive for fish.

Sitting sideways on the yak with a rum and coke with a cigar as the tide goes out with the sunset.

Of course catching fish from my own personal trillion gallon aquarium that I peer down into as I glide over the emerald waters.

But it has evolved now I have a bunch of what I consider good friends that I camp fish and drink just about the right amount with.

Finally Neil almost had it right not just chicks dig but divorced middle aged women with low self asteem that feel like they married the wrong man and they have missed out on all the adventure in their lives and now want top make up for lost time and experience all the things they can before they have grandchildren of their own really dig it!

I am not bi-polar at all!
Credo quia absurdum
Sully

Post by Sully »

I was definitely a fisherman first and paddler second. Like that trip Pirouque described on the home page just wouldn't be something that I would do. I have owned several boats over the years and the two kayaks I have right now have given be more joy in the past year or so then all the others combined. And like John S. said, there is nothing better than deciding you want to fish and being on the water in 15 minutes or even better only spending about 10 minutes cleaning up.
TRUE
Rik

Post by Rik »

I'd been fishing for years, many out of a flats boat. I kept finding areas that I couldn't get to so I considered a kayak. I'd thought about a kayak for quite some time so I did some research and 5 years ago bought a kayak.

Then I found this site and realized I wasn't alone.

Kayaking opened up a whole new world. I almost equate it to sailing versus power boats. In power boats, the thrill is the destination. In sailing, the thrill is the trip. There is so much that we experience in a kayak that you'd just blow right by and never see in a power boat.

Plus, as has been mentioned, its quick and simple.

By far, one of the biggest upsides to kayaking is the number of folks I've met, some of which have become true friends. In years and years of power boating, I never had that. I would never think of powering over to another boat to say Hi. We do it all the time in kayaks.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

My access to my favorite hotspot was blocked by the city of New Rochelle. Man did it piss me right off :twisted: Well I got my Irish up & decided noone is keeping off my site. Boating in Long Island Sound is a real pain, very little public access and docking is just out of the question. Paddleing is just a natural for me ( wife says it's because I'm a grumpy old unsocialble bastard, she might be on to something there) I like the solitude of it. You can go out as a group but your still by yourself. I still like a boat every now and then but won't get one till the back or shoulder won't allow paddleing anymore.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

To meet chicks.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
Mako

Post by Mako »

the devil made me do it :twisted:
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
JayB
Founder's Club

Post by JayB »

John and I invented paddle fishing. That was right after I invented the internet.

J
TroutTracker

Post by TroutTracker »

Figured I would jump on the bandwagon before there was no more room left.
Yeller Scupper Pro

John
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

I have paddled and I have fished all my life. As a young man, shorebound, I found paddle-craft to be the economic way to access more water to fish. Now, I own a flats boat (I don't know why?) but, I mostly paddlefish! :D
Simplicity, less $, adventurous, & fun!
I once owned & operated a paddle outfitters business and realized that it was more $ & less fun!
There is something about being on the water on flat calm morning...sniff...everything around you comes alive... sniff ...the birds ... snook busting the surface... tear ... anyway, that's why! :!:
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I was just catching way too many fish out of my flats boat. I figured the kayak would level the playing field some and give the fish more of a chance.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Why did you get into paddle fishing..

Post by Norm »

First of all...there is just something recuperative about being on the water..but I have always loved fishing. Have had several boats of which my last one was an expensive flats boat. Suddenly my schedule was too full to get away and it was always alot of trouble getting things ready and then the time to clean things when you get back. Just too much STUFF!! Sold the boat...and was celebate for about two years till I went to an evangelical...no wait, I think it was a fishing seminar at Gator Ford where Mel Berman introduced this really hippy looking guy he called Jay who was really into fishing from these little funny boats. He kindled a spark I must admit, I knew something was missing from my everyday life. Its not that I have to be on the water everyday,(wish I could), but it gives me something to look forward to when I do have some spare time. Meeting and getting to know many of the people here on this site has just been the icing on the cake.
Just an observation for me though...being a bowhunter as well...this made me think that Kayaking is to fishing like bowhunting is to hunting. Just stealthier and closer to your prey de juer :wink:

Norm
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld