12 wt help

dunfly

12 wt help

Post by dunfly »

I am about to start a build on my first 12 wt rod. I was able to get a Winston Boron IIX 9' 12wt blank at a steep discount and decided to build a shark/tarpon rod.

First, is there anything different about wrapping the guides or will the normal size A wrap work OK?

I am planning to use ceramic insert running guides for the first time (actually AmTac titanium nanoplasma ring lock guides). They are single foot. Is there a problem with single foot guides popping out on heavy weight rods?

Is there a conversion table for wire guide size vs insert guide size?
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
noles

Re: 12 wt help

Post by noles »

All of my big rods are built using ceramic guides. Snakes are so old school! :lol: My typical rod starts with 3 strippers (double foot) then the rest are single foot guides. The tip-top I go with a Sic insert. The strippers are (16, 12, 10) and the running guides are all 8s. Size A thread is all you need. Just remember to do a Forhan lock on the single foot guides. If you want exact guide spacing let me know and I'll put a tape measure on it.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Thanks Noles. I was hoping you would chime in. Most of the guide charts have the first striping guide a 20, which I thought was a little big. I will probably take your suggestion and start with a 16.

I will probably be adding more than the typical number of running guides to test a theory about line sag. My layout currently has a total of 12 guides plus the tip top rather than the typical 9 plus tip top. Fox Statler, who came up with the theory, actually recommends 15 guides on a 9 foot rod. I thought that was a little much.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
noles

Post by noles »

I have 11 guides plus the tip-top.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"