Need input - canoe/kayak launch

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Rik

Re: Need input - canoe/kayak launch

Post by Rik »

Evan wrote:Personally, I prefer the more rugged launches. Keeps the yahoos away. Probably not what you want to hear...
No, that is what I want to hear. Part of the issue is economics. The less we require, the less it costs to build them and the more launches we may get. (spreading out the yahoos.....)
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Do:
Provide ample parking for cars and trailers.(Toll booth at Ft D)
Gentle sloped access with a surface you can drag a kayak across. (Gandy or Cockroach)
24 hr access if possible.
Direct access to water. (Gandy)
Critter proof trash cans. (E.G. Simmons)

Do not:
Circles (Wheedon and Cockroach)
Boulder and concrete debris surface(E.G. Simmons)
Concrete ramps of any sort (Wheedon)
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
Walt

Post by Walt »

Rik wrote:
Evan wrote:Personally, I prefer the more rugged launches. Keeps the yahoos away. Probably not what you want to hear...
No, that is what I want to hear. Part of the issue is economics. The less we require, the less it costs to build them and the more launches we may get. (spreading out the yahoos.....)

I agree! All I would like to see is 2 signs 20' apart saying; " Loading Zone--No Parking between signs" "$2000.00 fine for taking longer than 5 minutes to launch :shock: "
forced2work

Post by forced2work »

I am sure no one wants to hear this but start paying a registration fee on those Boats of yours an maybe you would have a louder voice with the politicians.....
Chrystal_Murray

Post by Chrystal_Murray »

Here in SW Florida- simply put there just needs to be more places to launch....and designated launches for some of the beaches as well.

All state owned land should be open with parking lots of crushed shell, hiking trails and paddleboat launches if there is water.

For starters- there is a big chunk of public land right here- Little Pine Island (between Matlacha and Big Pine Island) that is one big mitigation bank. No one allowed out there except driving on the highway running through it. That's crap! The waters around that island are perfect for the kayaking and canoeing, and are very fishy. I've heard that bird and wildlife watching out there is fantastic too.

Up there- I liked the launch at Double Branch and all the pull-up-to-the-water access at Ft. Desoto; model parks IMHO.

Thanks Rik for getting involved.
Rik

Post by Rik »

forced2work wrote:I am sure no one wants to hear this but start paying a registration fee on those Boats of yours an maybe you would have a louder voice with the politicians.....
That is the constant cry from the power boating community. Some sort of 'fairness issue'.

However, if you look where registration fees are spent, you'd change your tune.

Also, if the true cost of providing power boat infrastructure was passed on to power boaters, all power boaters would quickly become very quiet when it comes to the costs they pay.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Numero Uno...Sand NOT concrete. I have a fragile hip.

# 2 Ample parking that is secure.

#3 Close to the parking area ..ultimately able to drive right down to the waters edge and load/ unloas without some motor boater waiting.

#4 Fresh water available..I like the idea that I can rinse off the kayak immediately ..Weedon is a classic example.

#5 Trash cans available ...but actually used and picked up timely ( the ones at PSB the other day were overflowing )
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

Randy,

While all that is nice, most of it can only be offered at already existing parks. Things like security, fresh water and trash service require personnel and infrastructure expenditure.

We're looking to increase access tremendously to non powered craft. My feeling is that we really do not need a lot of infrastructure. We don't need anything very fancy. We just need it done the way we'd like to use it. A straight line back in, sand or crush shell launch designed to require minimal maintenance is really all we need.

A perfect example of a very nice launch that made one BIG mistake is Robinson Preserve. It has it all - sand launch, decent grade angle to the water, fresh water, ample parking, good security. However, they put in that circle drive that clogs it all up. Of course, they also saddled it with ridiculous launch times but that is a common problem at govt parks.

As Chrystal mentions, there are hundreds of places where simple launches could be added. Our task is to come up with suggestions for both the park type launch (the full service type) and the roadside launch.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Bicycles share the road with cars and pay no registration fees. Should be the same way with kayaks and boats on the water...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Rik.. I realise that my wish list is a little well...wishy. Infrastructure does cost $

Really all I need is a stratight back down to hard sand and I'm happy.

So I think what is not needed are

A.Concrete
B. Some sort of floating dock
C. Turn abouts that get clogged by kayak vendors.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Rik

Post by Rik »

mauso1 wrote: So I think what is not needed are

A.Concrete
B. Some sort of floating dock
C. Turn abouts that get clogged by kayak vendors.
If I pulled in and saw that, I'd be very tempted to go somewhere else.

btw, it isn't just the kayak tour/vendor guys that clog turnabouts - though they are by far the worse case - some folks with just one kayak take forever to unload. I know, we all move at our own pace but I just don't see why it take 20 minutes to unload the vehicle so it can be moved out of the way.

I've launched alongside some folks who, by the time I've launched and paddled half a mile, caught my first fish, taken a pic and released it, are just pushing off the beach. I really don't care how long it takes someone as long as they don't block others.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I am as slooooo as they go. But I try to get as close to water as possible, get the kayak off the roof and then move the van..
If I have to lug down paddle, rods and general stuff so be it..It is just common courtesy if others are waiting ..but like someone once said " common courtesy is not common"

As far as going to another place to launch because of activity ..again the watch word is courtesy.
I usually have traveled a good distance so going somewhere else isn't a justified option. just my 2 cents worth
Rik

Post by Rik »

It would be easier if we had dozens more smaller launches around....
forced2work

Post by forced2work »

Rik wrote:
forced2work wrote:I am sure no one wants to hear this but start paying a registration fee on those Boats of yours an maybe you would have a louder voice with the politicians.....
That is the constant cry from the power boating community. Some sort of 'fairness issue'.

However, if you look where registration fees are spent, you'd change your tune.

Also, if the true cost of providing power boat infrastructure was passed on to power boaters, all power boaters would quickly become very quiet when it comes to the costs they pay.
I am just saying that the boating industry has the money behind them, from registration fees, to charitable donations from boat builders to politicans, just think of it like this if you where going before a committe in teh house of rep. are they going to listen to some one who contributing money to the state fund and political contributions or are they going to listen to people who are alway complaining but not willing to contibute....
Rik

Post by Rik »

I understand your point. Thankfully, the vast majority of launches are on a county or lower level where we have much more input.

btw, your boat registration fees to the state fund are not contributions. One of the reasons paddlers are fighting the reg issue is that we've seen how little of the power boat registration money actually goes to power boat issues. It isn't paying the fee to help the needs of power boaters, it is merely just another tax.
forced2work

Post by forced2work »

Man Rik with comments like that you should be Kayaking with a tri pointed hat and an AR-15....... :salute: