Relaxing morning

Flamingo to Big Bend
SnookBait

Relaxing morning

Post by SnookBait »

Launched at PI and started fishing around 8am. It was a nice morning with pelicans diving on bait and a lot of mullet jumping. Started off throwing the TW and caught a few smaller rat reds. Actually caught about 50 of these little guys throughout the morning. The topwater bite slowed down so I switched over to a jig and they seemed to be more interested in that. Fished all the mullet schools. Everything was peaceful and quiet until a few guys came and stirred up the flat with a 90HP. Even though they were idling along I stopped to think to myself "damn that is def a lot of noise". I then realized just how quiet I was being all morning. I heard these guys on the boat say "haha you would never catch me on a kayak that $hit sucks". Well to make a long story short they didnt get a bite and I was 40 yards away catching back to back Redfish. As they decided to leave I yelled out "how much did it cost you to fill up the gas tank?". They tucked their tails between their legs and putted off. All fish caught this day were between 17-23 inches. Nothing spectacular but none the less a relaxing morning.

A few random photos.

wilfish

Re: Relaxing morning

Post by wilfish »

Reason why I stop using my B/W 13 ft and when to kayak. My fishing hook up has been a lot better for that reason. Being quite. Nice post
Don't steal... The Government does not like the competition
Kon Tiki

Post by Kon Tiki »

I am a man of means by no means, and bought a pos kayak a few years ago for $200 so I could try my luck at fishing. Last weekend, I had to tie up to a barnacle covered piece of pvc sticking out of the water because my 3.5lb anchor wouldn't hold me against the wind. When I finally got my raft to stay put, I started fishing while a high-dollar skiff was drifting by real close. I was jealous but felt better though when I pulled two big trout and a 26.5inch redfish out of the water within the time it took them to float away from my meager craft. I saw them pointing and talking several times as I fought my rods into sharp curves against the pressures put on by the fish that splashed noisily near me.
I wished them well under my breath and hoped they'd go fish some deeper water accessible to those with access to big horsepower motorcraft and leave me to my shallow paradise that I frequent very often for free (no gas needed) on my little kayak.
I respect motor boats and would own one for sure if I had a lot of dough to spend on such things, but kayaking has brought me so much joy for so little money! And it's so easy to put in, that I fish much more often than many boat owners that I know.
It's a shame to see people that can't appreciate the allure of kayaking. People that can't imagine how close you can feel to the quarry we chase and the peace it can bring even when the fish aren't biting.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Kon Tiki wrote:When I finally got my raft to stay put, I started fishing while a high-dollar skiff was drifting by real close.
Then later a guy in kayak came and tried to steal your spot... :shock:
Oh and BTW, you left your SOP there too! :lol:
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve