Sheepshead... on topwater!

Flamingo to Big Bend
Pmoconnor89

Sheepshead... on topwater!

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

These fish were keyed in on pass crabs drifting out of Stump Pass in Lemon Bay and as a result were very willing to eat a topwater lure. I had never caught a sheepie on an artificial and never in a million years thought I would catch one on topwater! A very interesting strike and a great fight on lighter tackle. I landed two, one just over 20" (my new personal best) and one at 15". I lost a few before I found the right technique to getting them to stay on.

I wrote up a whole report from the day including redfish, snook, trout, bluefish and more on my blog... link in my signature!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Sheepshead... on topwater!

Post by DaveR »

Just when I've seen everything. Way cool.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Wow, I have only been able to catch sheepshead on a small hook baited with a piece of shrimp.

Might have been a time to free line a Gulp crab.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Very cool. Congrats.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

That is wild. In all the years fishing I have never seen that.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Wicked
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
sfcscott

Post by sfcscott »

Staged!?...Never caught one on artificial, let alone top water. Is it 2 separate fish? The hook is locked into the the left cheek on 2 photos and, the right on 1 photo. Very curious. Great catch otherwise.
Scott
Pmoconnor89

Post by Pmoconnor89 »

sfcscott wrote:Staged!?...Never caught one on artificial, let alone top water. Is it 2 separate fish? The hook is locked into the the left cheek on 2 photos and, the right on 1 photo. Very curious. Great catch otherwise.
Two seperate fish. Larger one got a treble on the side of the face and is in the picture with the paddle and in the water. It was the first one I caught, got the picture of it in the water before I tried to land it to make sure I got some photo evidence since I was absolutely shocked! Second one (bottom right) was the smaller fish and only got the back treble. Larger was just over 20" and smaller was about 15-16".

Interesting fights with both. Larger one made a pretty decent explosion on the lure and was a complete surprise, while the second (smaller) just kind of slurped it. The second I actually sightfished... Saw 4-5 pecking at a crab and castes right next to the crab... Boom fish on!

When I hooked the second one I was laughing my butt off knowing I was having one of the strangest days I'll ever have on the water!
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

I caught a large sheepshead on top water in Miguel Bay several years ago with Ray Markham. I've caught a couple on jigs and a few on fly.
But your catches certainly are more impressive.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone »

had one hit a mullet spoon jr once and was amazed. Pulled a sheepshead a few weeks ago on a doa curly tail. perfect hook set right past the teeth
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

OK, now that we have our sheepshead,

How good are they to eat ( fileted) compared to redfish filets?
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Delish but a pain in the ass to clean. Big bones, big scales, tough skin..Theres an Irishman here that jousts guts it and throws it in the microwave.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.