West Side of Sarasota Bay 10-27-14 (picture light)

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

West Side of Sarasota Bay 10-27-14 (picture light)

Post by Manning »

Had an interesting morning on the bay. Caught up with Steve Gibson about a half hour after launching and we fished together for a few hours. First fish I caught was this sub 20 inch snook.

About 5 minutes later I caught an upper slot red. Unfortunately I can't show you any pictures. After landing the fish I put my lip grip on it and started to put it back in the water while I got my phone out to take a picture. The minute the fish hit the water again it made a big twisting motion, the lip grip popped open and it was gone. That is the first time that has ever happened. A short time later I caught a small trout to complete my slam. I was feeling pretty good at this point as Steve had only managed to catch a few trout.

A couple hours later Steve and I were wading and fishing as the tide started to turn and come back in. I was standing right beside Steve and we were both throwing Mirrodine Minis. I watched as he caught slam on 4 or 5 consecutive casts. First came a 30 inch snook. Great fun as he hooked it on very light tackle. I am talking a 6 foot rod with a 1000 series reel loaded with 5 lb braid. Next cast he caught another snook in the 20 inch range. Next cast he caught a red and one or two casts later a nice trout. All on his Mirrodine and all while I was standing beside him fishing the same water with the same lure and catching nothing. That is fishing.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: West Side of Sarasota Bay 10-27-14 (picture light)

Post by sfurman »

How were you holding your mouth??
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I think it was a look of bewilderment.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

sfurman wrote:How were you holding your mouth??
Yup, that's it!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
LagoonAddict

Post by LagoonAddict »

Haven't seen a snook in so long don't think I'd recognize one if I caught it!!!! Nice catch!!!!!
East Coast "Clique of One"

"'til reinforced, can we learn the ways of church-mice"