peacocks

General freshwater forum. However, please consider using the regional forums instead!
bonefishwhisperer

peacocks

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

long-slow-unedited-realtime-low resolution video of me and Tad in Miami catching peacocks and exotics

http://vimeo.com/2580436
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Urban South Florida fishing at its best, shopping carts make great natural structure.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
bluebill

Miami Peacocks

Post by bluebill »

That is a fun video of you and Tod catching peacocks.

I was in Miami over the Thanksgiving weekend and did some exploring for peacocks in the Kendall area. I tried Snapper Creek canal and had many follow a small jig but no takers. I never did see any near the bank like in your video.

I finally caught a few on a shimmow fly in one of the lakes in west Kendall. I saw many big largemouth bass but could not get them to take.
But, I know where to go in a few months when the get more active.

I hope to be down again over the New Year weekend and will have another go at the peacocks.

It looks like your fish were taking the fly many times when it was sinking or lying still?
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
bonefishwhisperer

I fish just the opposite of everybody as you can see...its 90% sight casting and the fly is always moving...I have sink rate dialed so even though we dont strip the line so much the fly is never more than about a ft away from a fish...it used to be white hot fishing around here but as you can see from the video there has been road construction...that canal went from a fishery than I could rely on for about 100lbs a day of peacocks to not catching a single one there now for over 1.5 yrs...the bass are always moving around too...I doubt you will find them again in the same spot..snapper ck is good near Dadeland Mall and flyshop...try to email me when you are coming...if not busy perhaps I can show you a spot or 3
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

That was awesome. I will have to bring my fly rod down the next time that I visit my grandparents. :D
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Nice man! I enjoyed watching that while the rest of my family took a nap...I fished a few canals down there earlier this year with the fly rod but didn't have any luck. I think the key is letting the fly get down and keep it moving, didn't realize how deep those canals are. I will definately give it another go next time I'm in the area.
- Jon
bluebill

More Peacock Stuff

Post by bluebill »

I was staying with family near 107th and sunset so fished snapper crk just south of sunset - it is pretty boring at first as it is straight no brush or trees or structure. the peacocks i did see there were near the bridge abutments.

I walked and drove around a lake that is an extension of snapper crk and saw peacocks schooling and busting bait just out of my fly casting range so i threw plugs but no takers - but a fancy bass boat came into the lake with two clients and said they caught a few peacocks where they were schooling using live minnows for bait.

Cordell - OK, i will email you before my next trip.

I think you will like the lake in west kendall as it is deep but has a good amount of shallows where the bass can be sight fished with a fly.

i wish i still had access to the 55 over community in broward where i caught this peacock last year - the condos are dirt cheap there now - the clubhouse lake is full of peacocks and LM bass and has near zero fishing pressure.
bonefishwhisperer

I live only 1.5 miles from the airport lakes where they did the original stocking...its also where I get jacks/snook and tarpon...I see peacocks there every day...there are so many canals that hold fish but I prefer the ones that hold sweetwater fish...I hate to limit myself to just targeting peacocks when there are glamour species in the same water
bluebill

Airport Lakes

Post by bluebill »

BFW

I f you put a canoe or kayak in the east lake (blue lagoon?), can you somehow get through a culvert or something to the next lake to the west?

that is the lake i checked out a few years ago and saw lots of big peacocks in clear water and a teenager who also snuck in caught them in spring on striped orange plugs.

Security did kick us out.

bluebill
bonefishwhisperer

I believe you can...I have only fished the banks between lakes..I have followed them roadside and they seem to be interconnected all the way...security actually told me of a spot where to fish on one of the lakes...didnt know they existed but I didnt get kicked out but it was too windy that day
bluebill

Merry Christmas to All

Post by bluebill »

BFW

Thanks - you are a helpful guy.

HAPPY HOLIDAY

I hope you had a nice holiday dinner.

Bluebill
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

I wonder if that tactic would work here in the St. Pete area.. :idea:

Anyway, I should just buy a good quality video camera and learn some video editing software and get some skills with them.....I'll do that, and if in a year or so after I get some skillz, and you're looking for a camera man to film your own fishing show, I'll volunteer for the job 8) :lol: Great stuff BFW!!

P.S. I got a GPS for the truck, so I'll get over my fear of getting lost and actually be able to head down that way sometime soon 8).
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
bonefishwhisperer

the canals were on fire yesterday...big jacks...slot snook...over 2 dozen snapper...cuda...peacocks...bass..going again ina few minutes before the sun comes up