2010-2011 Top Five Conversation - Steve Manning

Heywood

2010-2011 Top Five Conversation - Steve Manning

Post by Heywood »

First of all, let me give credit where credit is due. The idea for this conversation came from Paul Silvernail, of http://www.masteheadsailinggear.com. Paul has been one of the PFTS longest sponsors and my good friend. He mentioned this to me as a way to maybe get more people involved in our tournaments, and I thought it was a great idea. It had been done once before, but not to this scale. The plan was to ask a series of questions of the top four finishers in the 2010-2011 Angler of the Year series. I took it one step further by asking the fifth place finisher the same questions.

No, you’re not going to get any secret honey holes, more like tips and techniques on how to fish certain lures and what types of areas to look for when targeting the Big Three Slam species.

With the Paddle-Fishing.com Tournament Series entering its 9th year, it’s become the longest running kayak fishing tournament in the Tampa Area. We’ve had our share of beginners, and coming in at number five in points for the 2010-2011 series was none other than Steve Manning. “Manning” has he goes by on the forum hasn’t been at it long, but he sure has shorten the learning curve.

Steve’s 2010-2011 Highlights – 3rd Place in tournament #2, “The Mystery Lure”

How long have you been kayak fishing, what type of kayak do you fish out of?

I have been kayak fishing for just about 3 years. I now have a Native Ultimate 14.5.

What type of equipment do you normally use? Rod, Reel, Line, Leader.

I usually carry three rods. The three spinning reels are a 2000, 2500 and 3500 series. They have 8lb., 10 lb. and 15 lb. Power Pro respectively. I use 30lb fluorocarbon leader on each.

What was your biggest fish caught? What did you catch it on and how did you use that lure?

Biggest fish was probably a 32 in snook. Caught it on an Arkansas glow DOA shad tail and a CAL 1/8th ounce jig head. I just swim the lure back without really working it much.

What type of area do you look for when targeting that species?

Generally look along mangrove edges, especially where there is a point or island where there would be moving water from tidal flow. Also target snook in colder months in estuaries.

What lures did you use for the Dynamic Duo?

I actually used two of the exact same rigs. I used two DOA shad tail in Arkansas Glow. Caught a 22 in red on the shad tail after the tail had been lost. In the future I would use a spoon in place of one of them.

What lure did you use for the My Lure is Better than Your Lure?

DOA shad tail in Arkansas Glow with a 1/8th ounce CAL jig head.

How did you rig the Gold Dart? (The Erick Bell Memorial)

I rigged it weedless using a Mustad #4 power lock plus hook with a 1/8th ounce weight. I caught nothing!

What lure / lures did you use for The Tackle Box?

DOA Arkansas glow shad tail with a 1/8th ounce CAL jig, a 1/4 ounce Johnson gold spoon and a bone color spook junior.

When targeting the Big Three, Snook, Redfish and Trout, what type of area do you look for during the following seasons:

Winter - For reds and trout I look for grass flats with an incoming tide where the sun is warming the water. Also, on the big negative tides I fish pothole areas. For snook I look for dark bottom, dark water and mangrove edges.

Spring - Grass flats and potholes for reds and trout. I look for significant mullet activity. Mangrove edges where there is moving water for snook.

Summer - Try to get out very early in summer. Tend to fish mangrove edges of grass flats. Also, oyster bars on incoming tides.

Fall - Pretty much the same as in the spring.

If you could give one tip for using artificial lures, what would it be?

Pay attention to the bait fish that are around and try to use something that is similar to the bait. Not sure how important color is, but the profile of the bait can have a big impact.

Look for a new conversation each Thursday, as we count down to number one. If you can think of additional questions, please PM them to me and I will pass them along. Thanks to the top five for taking time out to answer these questions, I hope it brings some insight to this creative tournament series.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~