rod security

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.

rod security

Post by Guest »

is there anything on the market to hold your rods down???
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Down to what?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM

Post by Guest »

hahaha. the kayak. like in case my mom wants to try my kayak again and flip it....again.

(in basic scotty rod holders)
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

Rod leash?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM

Post by Guest »

whoa nice, but they are like $20. but i guess its worth it when you consider your carrying $200 set ups... thankss
keithb

Rod Leash

Post by keithb »

At any motorcycle shop you can get a Reminder Cord for $5 or less that will do the job. They will stretch out 3'-4' from a 6" coil and are looped at both end. They are a bright orange color and I attached one loop to the rod with a small light carabiner and the other end to my crate.

You can also make a coil from an old phone cord or a cell phone recharger cord by crimping the ends into a loop.
Willie T
Location: St. Petersburg Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.

Post by Willie T »

Let's see... we're throwing all our fishing gear into an old salvaged milk crate, which often has sawed off lengths of PVC fastened to it for pole holders... and a lot of guys are using old golf club handles for stake out poles..... and we are worrying about a classy pole teather? :?

I am hearing this correctly, right? :lol:

My wife and I both use some left over bungee cord on our paddles. Works fine. :roll:

I will, however, admit that I also looked into the coiled phone cord setups.... but then I said, "Why?"
Willie T
St. Petersburg
[email protected]

"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Dirty Dave

Post by Dirty Dave »

but then I said, "Why?"
Me too. Unless you are fishing more than 5 feet of water, that is not moving like a run-away freight train, then "why"?

Less is actually "more" Especially if you are a long rodder.

Too many cords and crap can actually be a bad thing, on a paddle? Yes,Good. Cords on every piece of equipment on board? Bad. Accept the loss of your equipment and be happy you are safe,but if that's your gig? Be sure to check out the "What knife do you carry" tread so you can cut yourself loose from the impending tangle.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Last edited by LivelyBaits on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob/FLA

Rod security

Post by Bob/FLA »

Take a look at "Cheap Paddle Leash"
http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/padd ... hp?t=11631

Bob
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Ever hear of a BIG rubberband, 6 to 8 inches long. They work just fine and do not get in the way. Come in various colors to match your yak if you need to look "uppity" .
TB
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

just use a piece of 1/8' line with brass swivel eye bolt hooks attached to the kayak at the front seat hooks. I hook these into plastic D rings, velcroed to my rods. I only have them on the rods mounted behind me. The front one is secured with a Scotty rod holder when I'm not using it. I've never flipped but I keep everything attached to the kayak when I'm in deep or rough water.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?

Post by Guest »

Ever hear of a BIG rubberband, 6 to 8 inches long. They work just fine and do not get in the way. Come in various colors to match your yak if you need to look "uppity"
WOW!! GREAT IDEA!!!!