Need a heavier rod

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
prowler13angler

Need a heavier rod

Post by prowler13angler »

Recently I've been thinking of buying another rod, one that is a little heavier for bigger fish and bigger baits. I see allot of you guys using baitcaster / conventional reels for bigger plugs, and that is pretty much what I'm looking to buy.

Something that i can take out around some stilt houses that can handle some cobia, and even when i go out with my friend snookin' in his boat. And for some juvy tarpon I've seen around docks. I see allot of
Ambassadeur reels, but i really know nothing about them. I know Erick has a Ambassadeur reel for pretty cheap, i figured that would be something i can use since its a pretty good price??? I was not looking at spending over 100$.

BTW, my heaviest rod now is a medium action with 14# test for bridges. And is pretty shaky when casting plugs.

What should get me going for a decent price?? The kind that Erick has for sale is about the basic thing right??
Mako

Post by Mako »

Jon, I used to be a baitcaster only angler until I learned some of the benefits of spinning. I still bring with me 2 baitcasters to throw topwaters every time.

Before I switched to Shimano reels, I bought Abu's Ambassadeur because of the price and always like them. For the price you'll pay (never even close to $100 new), you'll get a nice reel.

I'm sure Erick's reel is in great condition, and he can tell you what type of rod to match it with.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
TerryW

baitcasters for topwaters

Post by TerryW »

I saw your post to Jon stating that you bring two baitcasters to use fo topwaters. Why? I am clueless.

Sure wish I could join you at CRB tomorrow, but there is too much on my plate.

Terry
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!

Post by 0119 »

There are many benefits to using baitcasting gear. Usually they're lighter than a similat capacity and rated spinner by several ounces. Its much easier to walk the dog and other topwater methods too. Until I discovered I loved fishing soft plastic jerkbaits I never used spinning. The ABu's are great for the money though now I use Shimano Calcuttas and Quantum low profiles. Dont follow the example of many others and use a reel thats too big. Especially if you use braided line, a smaller width reel will be more comfortable and easier for a beginer to learn to thumb. Remember it takes time to learn casting it and even the pros get backlashes.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Baitcasters also allow you to switch hands. (When throwing alot of spinning tackle all day) which will give your arms a chance to rest. They can also cover alot of water quicker.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Thanks 0119 and MM! I've used baitcasters in the past and maybe it's time to add one to the aresnal since I do love those topwaters.
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

Is the Ambassadeur 5501 C3 an appropriate size reel??
Mako

Post by Mako »

Terry, I bring 2 baitcasters rigged with topwaters of different size or sometimes different colors. Also, if I get a backlash on one, then the other is ready for action :D
Peter
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Baitcasters are good for any lure that needs action not just top waters. Jigs and jerk baits also benefit from the superior action the bait caster imposes on the lure. Thats why they dominate bass fishing. Also bombing a shore line you can do so with more accuracy with a BC..I like my Diawa Coastal but they are more fragile then a spinner and require more care. They should never be cast up wind which can be a problem if you happen to see a fish or school up wind. Been there Done that, what a mess.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
paddlefish

Post by paddlefish »

I bought my baitcaster with a left hand retrieve so that I don't have to change hands.
Thank you, gentlemen. Someday I will repay you, unless of course I can't find you, or if I forget.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I bought my baitcaster with a left hand retrieve so that I don't have to change hands.
I knew there were other sensible anglers out there..makes sense to me not to have to change hands..Mines a lefty also.
Now if I can just learn to use it properly :roll:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Mako

Post by Mako »

man, even on my spinning reels I had to change the handle to the right side :?
Peter
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Mako wrote:man, even on my spinning reels I had to change the handle to the right side :?
Me too, to include all my fly reels. Grew up on a Zebco 202 and never looked back. If I get tired of reeling with my right hand I'll drink beer or go home. :D
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey