DOA Jerk bait Rigging 4" version

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
MrSpectaculous

DOA Jerk bait Rigging 4" version

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I now must have every color DOA 4' jerk bait they make. My rigging question for the experts is does it matter which way the hook point exits the body. 1 side has a deep pocket and one side has a shallow indent. I have up till now been having the hook point exit on the shallow side but the deep side appears to be more mangrove limb resistant :shock:

Will this effect the action of the lure (I've not actually tried it yet)
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Rik

Post by Rik »

The pocket is there so that the shank of the hook will go inside and more of the hook will protrude when a fish hits.

Therefore, the hook point should always be on the non-pocket side. If you're having trouble with the hook catching things, try embedding the tip of the hook back into the plastic. Not much, just enough to hold it in place.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JayB
Founder's Club

Re: DOA Jerk bait Rigging 4" version

Post by JayB »

Mangrove Man wrote:I now must have every color DOA 4' jerk bait they make.
You must need a helluva hook for that sucker!

I'm sorry. Sometimes I see a typo and I can't resist.

Jay
Stereotactic radiation saved my life.

I may not be an angel, but I had a halo.
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

Ive liked those ones allot more myself.

These hooks fit great on them:
http://cybermessageboard.ehost.com/padd ... hp?t=11222
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Rik wrote:The pocket is there so that the shank of the hook will go inside and more of the hook will protrude when a fish hits.

Therefore, the hook point should always be on the non-pocket side. If you're having trouble with the hook catching things, try embedding the tip of the hook back into the plastic. Not much, just enough to hold it in place.
Part of the attraction to this "new" rigging is the hook feels like it's freeier moving when pressure is applied to the bait hook like when a fish strikes.

I wonder if the shank style (straight or curved) has any thing to do with the efectiveness of the rig. I've got straight, curved and sickle style hooks. I would imagina a jig head would be "more" weedless if the hook came out the deep pocket side. I'll do up some photo's for comparison.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Fishwhistler

Post by Fishwhistler »

I have used them both ways and found that I get bit more, by the correct way, which is what Rik said. They are designed to come thru the water, like what they represent, an injured bait fish. They swim belly down.
It also seems when using the mission jig, with the double sided keeper, if you go thru at just a little bit of an angle, the body seems to last one to two more caught fish. Especialy if the jig head is 1/8 oz gold. :lol:
no time

Re: DOA Jerk bait Rigging 4" version

Post by no time »

JayB wrote:
Mangrove Man wrote:I now must have every color DOA 4' jerk bait they make.
You must need a helluva hook for that sucker!

I'm sorry. Sometimes I see a typo and I can't resist.

Jay
Jay, Nothing get's by you. :D
What can I do to help?