Custom
16%

Total votes: 108

Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

What Brand of Rod:

Post by Erick »

Similar to the reel question......thanks for your responses.

There are so many rod companies I will have to double up some of the majors because the poll only allows for so many responses.

Please vote even if you dont respond. The more the better.

And use Custom for "Other" also. Thanks.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

st croix and tsunami here. voted for st croix. for the price though, my tsunami classic has treated me well.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Voted for Shimano because I have the most of them. I am very picky about the "feel" and that's how I buy (and price...of course). My normal outing consists of a Loomis, a Falcon, a Redbone, a Shimano, and a Berkely Series One (my newest and least expensive $67, I like it so far)
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Quantams are great at any price, extraordinary @ $40
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Mako

Post by Mako »

you're missing the best rods in the market in this poll: Abu Garcia from Wally World at $25

do these rods ever break? :)
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Bigfish171 »

I use a lot of different brands and each was selected for the action I like for working a particular lure type.
My new favorite is a Star 6'6" medium baitcast rod paired with a Daiwa Coastal. Great for "dog walking".
Dave
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I cant go back and edit the poll.

I am missing All Star, Star, Abu Garcia, Lexus, Castaway, American Rodsmith, Tsunami, Jarvis Walker, and many others. I knew most used either St. Croix, Falcon or Redbone...at least that was my guess. So far it look like I was close. But there are so many rods and you can only use so many poll options. I maxed this one out.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I just bought two new redbones and retired my old fenwicks. I liked the fenwicks, they took on every fish thrown at them, but they have great sentimental value and it was time to put them away.

I cut my redbones down and they have worked out pretty good so far. Also bought a 9 wt redbone fly rod that I am learning to use.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

scott and winston....with one from yohan in the future, and hopefully one from noles as well.//
If it don't like scotch, it aint worth it!!!

alot/alot/abunch/morethanyou
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Spinning: 2 Tsunamis, 1 Okuma, 1 Ugly Stick, and 3-4 "Wally Worlds".

Fly: 2 TFOs, 1 JC Higgins, 2 Cabelas, 1 Pfleuger, 1 Semsung (?)

Two spinning rods/reels and one ultra light over at my brother's house ... can't remember what those are. Will get back on those. ha!
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
BBabcock

Post by BBabcock »

I mostly use St. Croix on my spinning and recently switch all of my baitcasters to Airrus ULTRA XL. I have been fishing St. Croix for 15 years and reluctantly tried something new to match to a new reel. I can't imagine why other manufactures haven't adopted the same design on the baitcasters as Airrus. The only dealer I have found is Economy Tackle in Sarasota. Many of the top manufactures have mastered the feel of the blank and you can easily find a rod to match the task. The difference in these rods is the part that spend all the time in you hand (Reel Seat and Grip). The reel seat is wound into the blank giving you hand full access to the blank at all times. The reel sits very low on the blank for better grip and better feel. Check them out www.rodsbyairrus.com. Not a commercial, just a fan.
-Brian
Kpmiggs

Post by Kpmiggs »

I use a Falcon, Shimano "Clarus", and a Redbone. The Falcon is probably my favorite, but the redbone is a great buy especially with the warranty on them can't go worng.
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

My "all around" rod is a Loomis and have had it for about 6-7years. My light rods are Hurricanes (Red Bone/Calaco Jack). I was thinking about getting into rod building. I would love to catch fish on something I built.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
jd

Post by jd »

I have been using a couple of Phinla(Noles) Specials for @ 2weeks now. These light tackle rods work small topwater plugs i.e. Skitterwalks, like none I have ever used before. :lol:
I have trouble acting normal.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Erick,
I have mostly custom rods now, probably similar to those Phinla has to offer (but probably not quite that good!).

I have the Tsunami rods I got during your sale, a good rod, but for sure I'm going to knock about 3 inches of handle off the bottom of them.

I'd have to say that I would never be afraid to go out and buy a St. Croix rod. I had only St. Croix rods for about seven years and never had even one guide break on them. The only reason that's not still my brand was I started making my own.

I have a couple of Loomis rods too that are nice but I really like the value for those 90 to 110 dollar St. Croix rods if I had to choose "the last rods I'm ever going to use" (excluding the custom rods)

NEIL
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
GetRwet

Post by GetRwet »

I was at a local outfitter recently looking at a Redbone for a new reel. The fellow there talked me into a new Okuma guide series. Same price as the Redbone but a better rod according to him. Better guides & IM8. I like it so far!
Paddling....Nature.....Peace....................& Plugs!