Tarpon Central

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
TK

Tarpon Central

Post by TK »

I fished out front at Flamingo for the first time in what seems like forever. It was great to fish my old haunts. It looks a bit different since the storms last year, so I have to find all new spots.

I got to the ramp late because the alarm clock didn't go off. I didn't launch until after 8, so I knew snook were going to be hard to come by. I was hoping to pick up a red or two. Didn't see any reds all day and only saw one snook. The snook was completely burried in the grass and I litterally paddle over him and didn't see her until she spooked.

However, I was surrounded by summer tarpon all day. Everywhere I went there were tarpon. The smaller summer variety. The 5-20 lb'ers that jump like crazy and are frustrating as hell to hook up. But they were easy to find, traveling around in packs of 5 or more, rolling, daisy chaining, tailing and generally having a good time. Saw hundreds of the darned things.

I was fiddling around with a gulp shrimp rigged weedless. They sure like the gulp, but I could't get good hooksets. I jumped a bunch, but didn't stick any of them well enough to get them to the yak.

Beautiful day to be on the water. The bugs were low. The wind was at my back on the way back home. Saw a bunch of sharks cruising, a bald eagle, some hawks I couldn't identify (maybe baby eagles?) and some manatees (somewhat unusual for Snake Bight).
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
rev

Post by rev »

Awesome. Jumping them is the best part.
tbray

man

Post by tbray »

next time how bout some pics...i bet it looked beautiful with everything you described going on! :D
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

if you would like to try tarpon on the fly I would gladly meet you out there and let you use on of my rods, just send me a pm with the time and location
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch