Tarpon Jacks

Flamingo to Big Bend
nemo327

Tarpon Jacks

Post by nemo327 »

Monday was another premium day for Kayaking around Tarpon Springs. I put in at Sunset beach and paddled South to a mangrove point. I was targeting redfish in the grass and was rewarded with a nice 5 lb red. While plugging away I heard a comotion behind me when I looked there was a wave that looked like porpoises chasing mullett. It was large jacks! They swam by my kayak and I could see that they were 18 to 24 inches long. They seemed to be circling the small bay I was in because I saw them again an hour later. It is amazing how a kayak doesn't spook the various critters on the flats. Ps. There are many small sharks cruising the edges of the mangroves 3-4 ft. One day I will take a "ride" and hook up with one.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You didn't cast at the jacks?? I can never resist casting at a marauding school of jacks. They will give you a better tow around than a small shark and a lot easier to get the hook out of also.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

I can't resist a school of jacks either. Throw on a topwater next time and have some fun.
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

Fishing for Jacks with 6 to 8 pound test line adds a whole new dimension to sport fishing. :)
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.