Pushpole Length?

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
kempshark

Pushpole Length?

Post by kempshark »

I know I've seen this talke about before, but I couldn't find it anywhere. If you were going to make a pushpole for your yak, what length would you go with?? I paddle a Drifter, and have no problem standing in it. I have pushing along with my paddle (240 cm), but its not the best for this and its way too short. I'm debating making a pushpole for the yak. Probably would make it out of the thicker wall pvc , SCH 80 I believe, or wood dowel. I'm thinking 10 or 12 feet in length. I might start with 12, because its a lot easier to cut off a little than it is too add length once its made.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

a good rule of thumb is no longer than the length of your boat. I would say start at 12ft and go less if needed.

Wooden dowel is the way to go, the PVC just never seemed quite right, ts bouyancy doesn't help either.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Sully

Post by Sully »

Canoe Country has one I have been looking at that is adjustable, made of aluminum with a v-shaped end and a spiked end. Looks like it would work pretty well.

If you pick it up give us a report. I have not been able to get much feedback myself and have, like you simply paddled and pushed with my paddle.

Sully
TRUE
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

Hmmm....
I don't think it would have to be any longer than you can throw a lit Zippo lighter.....
after puncturing the drunk crabbers fuel tank with the absurdly sharp tip :shock:
DayFisher
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
kempshark

Post by kempshark »

Hmmm....
I don't think it would have to be any longer than you can throw a lit Zippo lighter.....
after puncturing the drunk crabbers fuel tank with the absurdly sharp tip
DayFisher

.......uh....yeah.....okay....
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

Read "Tested by a Drunk Crabber", Kemp.
It's all in jest.
DayFisher
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
kempshark

Post by kempshark »

Read "Tested by a Drunk Crabber", Kemp.
It's all in jest.
DayFisher
I figured it was all in jest.......figured I just had to reply to that one, though. :D
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

I have an adjustable one,I like it ,you can pole or paddle with it.
Tonight I am going to put a 360 light on it and put it in the pole holder.
I am too old to die young.
houdini

Post by houdini »

Take a look at Home Depot. They have a pole for staking plants that I use as a stake out pole / push pole. It's plastic coated metal and sharp on one end. They come in a couple of lengths but the longest works well. You'll like the price too.