Home made push pole - HELP!

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
prowler13angler

Home made push pole - HELP!

Post by prowler13angler »

Im getting really serious about making some type of longer push pole for a quite stealth attack while poling my yak.

I checked the archives, and read about 12ft is what they should be around. Im thinking about making one out of a Pool vacuum pole, they adjust and everything, and it sounds not to bad! Has anyone ever used one? Would they be strong enough??

Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

A peice of bamboo would be stonger, lighter and much cheaper.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
prowler13angler

I would look like a GOOBER 8)

Not to bad of an idea...
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

A telescoping painters pole works good too.
Sam
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Does anybody know where I can buy a 10-12' Bamboo pole for poling........I don't mind looking like a goober, I hear the goober look is in for 2007......I want to use it to pole my 13' Gheenoe......
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

Large warehouse type Art/Craft stores sell bamboo. I think I saw some at a Joanne's Fabric store a while back.There is probably someone in your neighborhood growing it and you haven't noticed. I have some I planted a couple of years ago that is now about 30' tall but your to far away.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

The piece of bamboo I have, I found in Brandon/Riverview.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

There's a huge thicket of them growing next door to me. I could sneak over in the middle of the night and pick you off any size bamboo pole you'd like.

Better yet, if you still need one, let me know the size and I can probably get their gardner to saw one off for you. He's a kayak fisherman.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Terry thats very kind of you, and I may just take you up on the offer, I will look around my area first. Again Thanks............
I have to say this group of people are willing to go out of their way to help other members never seizes to amaze me....................Kudos to all the members of P-F.com and thanks to those keep it running.............
Joe
prowler13angler

Thanks guys,

I might resort to a bamboo stick, i mentioned it to my dad and he went out and got a pool pole and a wooden dowel stick, and said which everone i dont use he will take.

I don't even think he can stand in his boat...but what the heck.
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

I just bought a 12' 1.25 dowel rod from home depot, i think it was around $10. Works perfect.
- Jon
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I used the same thing as Vercetti, works fine if not a little heavy.
I since had a 13' carbon one made for me that is a dream to use.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
kspops

Holiday Area

Post by kspops »

If in the Holiday area, check at Anclote bait and tackle. They have bamboo push poles for about $35.00 or $40.00 bucks. I was thinking about one for my flats boat, But the other half got rid of that as soon as possible.
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
DayFisher

Post by DayFisher »

There is a African Art shoppe at the Big Top Flea Market neat USF.
They sell all sizes of bamboo.
Folks use it for...????....push poles??
Momo
Hauling Dead Dinosaurs for Your Vehicles Consumptive Delight to a Gas Station near You!!
DayFisher
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Jon,
Check this out:
http://www.inshore-fishing.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=12525

My suggestion would be to find someone with a broken push pole (like the listing above). You should be able to pick up a 10-14ft section of pole for reasonably cheap.