Total votes: 13

tbray

overlining?

Post by tbray »

who does it and who doesnt?
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Depends on the line and the rod. With full weight-forward floating lines and most intermediate/sinking lines, I don't think overlining is usually necessary. I do overline by one size on my floating Wulff Triangle Taper lines (paired with either TFO or Loomis rods). For me, overlining produces very desirable results, particularly sitting down in the kayak. I can load the rod faster with less line on the water. I can also throw larger, bulkier topwater flies on light rods (6/7wt) without having to go to a 9wt.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I do the same as Dustin for kayak fishing with the fly rod. Overline by one.

I also have a 7 1/2 ft 3wt I use in the Appalachians on smaller streams where you don't always have a lot of back casting room. I have a 5 wt DT on it ... throws great.

I also have a 5wt with a 5 wt line on it. Two 6s with a 6 and an 8/9 with a 9wt on it.

Bottom line is ... it depends on the application. I don't just overline to be overlining.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I have also underlined, sometimes it is fun to play around. I had an old Sage 10wt. that would perfectly cast a full heavy (salt water or bass taper) 8wt. line. If I tried to throw the entire 10wt. the rod would kind of give out on me after about 60'. I called it my 8/10 weight.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch