40" Club…4/11/07

Flamingo to Big Bend
Triton

40" Club…4/11/07

Post by Triton »

Warning: long and lots of pics

Sorry it was so long...if you want the short version, just look at the pics.

My fishing partner bailed out on me today. He claimed that he had to go look for a "job". With the recent cold snap and the rain, I had the perfect spot in mind. I have been to the area before, but never during the right time of year. It's a great winter time spot due to the dark black mud. It has multiple small creeks, many of which have storm runoff pipes at the end.

Got the yak unloaded just before sun up. Hit the first few creeks with little success. There were signs of life, but there was no water movement. Kept moving my way down the bank, stopped at the next creek and I found this little guy, but the water still wasn't moving.

The next creek was where things finally took a turn. As I was approaching it I noticed the water was ripping out the mouth, great sign. I had confidence that the snook would be holding in this area. I approached the creek, anchoring just outside the mouth. I couldn't have asked for a better scenario. I make several casts with a lure that I have never fished before, a Rapala Twitchin' Rap. I had two colors with me, Hot Bone and Silver Flash. Because the water was very murky, I went with Hot Bone.

After a short period of no action, I was ready to reposition a little further up in the creek. Just then, I get a nice hit. The fish felt heavy, and showed itself early. She made an attempted to jump, that's when I realized just how big the fish was. When she was trying to jump, she could only get half her body out of water. At the top of her jump she would open her mouth which was as big as a trash can lid, and thrash her head back and forth until she went back under the water. My heart beat quickened, my hands began to shake. All I could think was "Leader, don't fail me now."

She made a 75' run up the mouth of the creek, and turned to run me under the bushes. I put a little extra pressure on her and was able to turn her away from the branches. She then made a poor decision, she ran out into the open water. I let her run as far as she wanted to go. She soon tired, and I was steadily gaining line back. She made one last effort to run back up the creek, but didn't succeed. I was somehow able to steady my hands enough to lip the fish and make my way to shore for some pics.

I couldn't believe the size of her, truly amazing. I kept her in the water while I did my best to snap some pics of her, easier said that done when you don't have an extra pair of hands to help. There was a man that pulled up in his car that offered some assistance. I asked if he could take a picture of me. He said take a picture of you and what? I reached down and showed him the fish, he was shocked, and kindly took the pics for me. I didn't even catch his name, but I can't tell him how thankful I was that he pulled up when he did. The other pics just weren't doing the fish any justice.

I had a little trouble reviving the fish in the shallow water. I took her out to some deeper water with more current and spent 10-15 minutes reviving her. She began to get her kick back, and soon, was ready for release. I gave her one last shake of the fin, pointed her towards the beaches, told her to go make lots of little snookies, and thanked her for the thrill of a lifetime. I had a lawstick that maxed out at 36". When 36" came, her entire tail was sticking beyond the ruler. I had a boca, but knew better that to hang this big girl by her jaw. Could someone give me some guesses as far as her weight? I didn't have a way of measuring her girth, but I'm very comfortable with a length of at least 40". Thx.

Here are some shots of the leader after the fight. "I'd rather be lucky than good"...got that right.

After settling my nerves I returned to the spot but found that the water wasn't moving. However, I was content to finish out the morning there. I had one more hit which yielded this fine snook, not as big as the other one, but certainly nothing to frown upon.

Thanks for reading. Tight Lines.

Triton.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

NICE!!!!! How do you get them to suck you're thumb like that?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
blindcast

Post by blindcast »

Waders? Where did you grow up, Hell? :wink:

Great snook my man, that's a hog to remember for sure. I wouldn't blame it all on luck. It sounds like you did at least a few things right.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Great pics and fish.
Looks like you had a day of a lifetime.. 8)
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Triton

Post by Triton »

[quote="blindcast"]Waders? Where did you grow up, Hell? quote]

Well...yes, but I had class at USF afterwards and wanted to stay dry. Triton
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

NIce fish.
I am too old to die young.
paddln4reds

Post by paddln4reds »

Congrats on a beautiful catch!
Rick

T140 Yellow
T120 Slate
T130 Mango
T130 Lime
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

First big snook I have seen here in a while. Well done.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

Awesome report and hell of a fish!
tbray

Post by tbray »

tropview wrote:NICE!!!!! How do you get them to suck you're thumb like that?
first you take down your.....nevermind

great pics - and wonderful fish brother!!! green with envy
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Well-Well Done!!! :shock:
What a beauty of a Snook! Great job & report!

What did your friend say when he saw the photos?

Steve
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You just increased the sales of Rapala Twitching Raps in bone color by close to 100%.

Nice snook and great pictures.

Congrats.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

tbray wrote:
tropview wrote:NICE!!!!! How do you get them to suck you're thumb like that?
first you take down your plaid.....nevermind

great pics - and wonderful fish brother!!! green with envy
Well said.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Chris.G

Post by Chris.G »

The white out covers up the old telephone pole-stump well..... :wink:
Giant- size
~ Good friends will come and bail you out of jail...Best friends will be sitting next to you saying, "Man, that was fun."~
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Chris.G wrote:The white out covers up the old telephone pole-stump well..... :wink:
Good call
no time

Post by no time »

Nice.
Great story. Hope to have one that big this year..
What can I do to help?