Little Pigeon River

Let's hear reports from other places.
Chief1600

Little Pigeon River

Post by Chief1600 »

Finally back from my vacation. Fishboy and I spent parts of three days fishing in the Little Pigeon River in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Air temperatures were mostly in the upper 70s, water temps were in the upper 50s/lower 60s depending on where you were. Too cold for swimming but not bad for wading. Waders would definitley be a plus but it was doable. The sky kept going from overcast to sunny. We went to the Smokey Mountain Angler for fly selections and licences. Really nice shop where they are willing to help even if you are not booking a guided trip. We picked up some Quill Gordons, Dark Hendricksons, Parachute Royal Wulfs, Copper Johns, Prince Nymphs and Some Pheasant Tail Nymphs. Also had a selection of flies from previous trips and some I had tied.
The first day of fishing we got a late start and didn't catch anything, there didn't seem to be any hatches coming off the water with the overcast so we switched from dries to nymphs, which I kept snapping off the light tippets while casting.
I did manage to get these Hippy type shots the first day

As well as this Fishboy "action" shot

The next morning we got up early and returned to a different section of the river we had scouted the evening before. As the sun came up there was a hatch of light colored flies coming off the river as well as thousands of small crane flies on the rocks. I didn't have anything to match the mayflies so after a while I switched to a size 14 dry that I had tied which was dark gray and brown similar to the crane flies. I started getting rises and strikes, finally after about 30 minutes I managed to set the hook on this little Rainbow. I know its not much of a fish but its the first one on a dry fly that I tied, for me it was great. I made sure my hands were wet and he was only out of the water for a few seconds. I was able to watch him swim away in the clear water

Shortly after that the hatch died off and the fish quit feeding, nymphs didn't produce either but neither of us have much experience fishing them. Fishboy did however come across a "greenback" hatch. He thought he saw some trash in the water. Thinking he would do his good deed and thus aquire good fishing karma, he went to pick it up and realized it looked like a dollar bill, when he picked it up it was a $50. We both spent some time checking the river for more "trash" but that was all we found.

The third day was looking a little rainy so we went over to Cataloochee and played tag with some small trout in the creeks there but didn't manage any hook-ups. For anyone who has not been there Cataloochee is gorgeous. I like Cades Cove but Cataloochee is my favorite. Part of it is the remoteness. There is no paved road into it so it doesn't see nearly the traffic Cades does, you don't need four wheel drive but new shocks and brakes are a good idea. Once you are in the Cove there is a nice paved road, several small creeks, some old homes, barns, a school and a church, a campground and restrooms. This where the elk have been re-introduced (didn't see any this time but saw several last trip).
Afterward we checked out the Bass Pro Shop built at Sevierville since our last trip

The morning after our last fishing day looking West from where we stayed, still beautiful even when its misty

A final Hippy shot on the way home, Mingo Falls in Cherokee

All in all it was a great time. No work, spent time fishing with my son and time just walking around with my wife while she takes pictures. We are planning a return trip in June, already working on flies to take for the hatches then
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Great pictures.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

My 4wt started complaining about how I never pay attention to her anymore when those pictures popped up.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Yup, can't wait. We'll be back the second week of June. Maybe I'll actually get something that looks like an adult fish.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
FishingKid

Post by FishingKid »

Hey, I was just there not to long ago maybe a month or so. Stayed in Pidgeon Forge as our home base but went all over the place. We fished the East Prong and i caught 6-7 Rainbows. The next day we headed out to a "secret" spot and my dad hooked into a monster brown. It got off though as he worked it around a rock. It is so nice up there i cant wait to go back up this summer.