safety box

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
ray-uk

safety box

Post by ray-uk »

Dunno how many of you guys n gals carry a safety box with you, I carry mine on every trip.

The box itself is watertight and can be opened with one hand if required, even with the bits and bobs in, it will still float.
It is kept within reach, in my crate.

It contains

2 x Cycle lights = 360 white led lights that can quite easily be clipped to a rod, crate, straps, whatever. they can be seen from a good distance.

Hi-viz strips = tie onto rods = flag.

First aid kit containg anti-septic wipes, waterproof plasters and a tube of superglue (I carry a larger first aid kit in my front hatch)

An old cd makes an excellent signaling mirror.

A length of rope to be used as a throw line/tow rope if ever required.

2 x cell phones = different networks to ensure a good signal regardless of where abouts I am.(I do not carry a vhf radio)

Small led torch.

Headlamp.

I make sure everything is working and all batteries are fully charged before every outing.

Ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

and

oops almost forgot
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

Trust me, Ray's a Bud man ... ;)
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

All good ideas Ray. Three additions I might add for Florida fishing. A sharp knife mounted within reach or a plastic envelope opener in your shirt pocket for cutting line in a hurry. Braided line will cut down to the bone if it should ever wrap a wrist or ankle with a large fish on.
A pair of side cutters that will cut through a hook and test them before you go. If you bury a treble hook in your face, its a lot more pleasant ride to the hospital without a 8" Bomber Lure hanging from your cheek. (Don't ask how I know)
The other idea Miss Terry mentioned to me. Carry a heat pack and ace bandage in case of sting ray bite. If your an hour away from the ramp having heat applied on your way back in will make it much less painful.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
kspops

Safety Bag OK?

Post by kspops »

Just wanted to give a couple of ideas to add if I may. I carry a dry bag in the front hatch for "emergency" landings. In there, I have a 8X10 tarp, space blanket,1/4" line, 2 Knives (above and beyond what I use for fishing), magniesium and flint fire starter and matches in water proof bag, a multi tool, a multi tool shovel/hatchet/saw, tissue, and a couple of MRE's. I also bring a gallon of water with me. The game plan is if the weather gets real bad in a hurry or lightning is near, I will head for shore or a spoil Island and camp out till it passes. I would rater carry this equipment and not need it than not have it and spend a night cold, wet, and hungry. I will more than likely add the hot pack and ace bandage to it for the sting ray issue above the first aid kit I carry. I figure it would be better to sit on an island under cover than carry a 'lightning rod' across the water back to the launch site. Thanks, Ed
P.S. I would like to add that I have used this other site for information before I started here. Kayakfishingstuff.com They have reviews and more for the kayakers. plus do it yourself forums.
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....