Ready for a radio

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
paddlaroun

Ready for a radio

Post by paddlaroun »

I know this has been talked about before. Just looking for some input. Can someone explain the water proof levels and give me a few ideas of what models you all use likes and dislikes? Thanks Dan
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Rik

Post by Rik »

This is from HyCom

The Japan Industrial Standards (JIS) for water resistance uses a "0" to "8" scale to define the level of water ingress protection built into each product. If the product was tested in compliance with this standard it is usually listed on the product spec sheet. The various JIS classes are defined below.

JIS "0" - No special protection

JIS "1" - Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 1)

JIS "2" - Dripping water at an angle up to 15 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 2)

JIS "3" - Falling rain at an angle up to 60 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Rain resistant)

JIS "4" - Splashing water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Splash resistant)

JIS "5" - Direct jetting water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Jet resistant)

JIS "6" - Direct jetting water from any direction shall not enter the enclosure (Water tight)

JIS "7" - Water shall not enter the enclosure when it is immersed in water under defined conditions (Immersion resistant) (my note - other sites say that the defined condition is a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes)

JIS "8" - The equipment is usable for continuous submersion in water under specified pressure (Submersible)

I have found that while a JIS7 radio will handle a lot of water and keep working, the problems happen around the control knobs and recharge points. The radio will still require a good cleaning and surface spray of WD40.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Rik

Post by Rik »

My first radio was a Uniden Voyager. Lasted about 5 years before the knobs finally froze up and the transmit button stuck in transmit mode. If I'd taken better care of it, it probably would have lasted much longer.

I now have a West Marine VHF150 Handheld. They're made by Standard Horizon. The only reason I bought it instead of replacing it with another Uniden is that it was $50 less expensive. I'm hoping that it isn't cheaper.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
tbray

Post by tbray »

I have the voyager and i love it..
I make plaid look....well....like plaid
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Dan..Sam and I both bought vhf radios from West Marine a while back.
We both ended up taking them back.
Sam stayed with a West Marine but a differant model I think. you'd have to ask him which one.

I whined enough that they upgraded me to a Uniden Voyager for $10.
The voyager has served me well with just a quick light washdown of fresh water and an occasional spray of reel magic.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Grit

Post by Grit »

I have 3 Uniden Voyagers, one for each family member. The first one failed after 3 years and is being sent back for warranty service. Other than that, they have been good radios. Small, durable and they run a long time between recharges.
I bought mine at West Marine because they will price match.
Sledford

Post by Sledford »

I bought the Uniden MHS350. It is a little bigger than the Voyger. I bought it because it had 2 batteries, a ac/dc charger, and it was $50.00 cheaper. The Voyger and the MHS350 are rated JIS7.
Sam
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I've had a Standard Horizon submersible for several years. It's surved being dunked once and gets covered with saltspray each time I'm out. Keeps on keeping on...
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I love my iCom. The cleaning instructions actually have a picture of dunking it in a bucket of fresh water.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

I hae West Marine VHF150. Has served me well and I dunk it in the sink when I come in and give a misting of silicone spray. NO WD40. it corrodes contacts inside and will void warranty.