Dry Tortugas/Fort Jefferson

Naples to West Palm and south, including the Keys
Lothar

Dry Tortugas/Fort Jefferson

Post by Lothar »

This past 4th of July my son and I were lucky enough to be invited on a camping/fishing/diving trip to the Dry Tortugas with 6 other friends. We took 2 boats from Ft Myers to the Tortugas July 3-6.The weather couldnt have been any better. While offshore we caught lots of scamp grouper and american red snapper over the trip. Inshore we hooked tarpon and barracuda. We even had some Cuban visitors try and make it to the island in some very small boats. Some were intercepted by the coast guard and others made it. You see the ones that made it walking in a line in the video. I had a different opinion of immigration after the trip.While there we met a young film crew doing a documentary on the island. They brought a kayak to the Tortugas on a head boat and wanted to do some underwater footage of the Avanti ship wreck. Always looking out for another paddler we offered to take them to the wreck site via our boat as it was a long trip for a kayak. We were the only ones on the 100 year old wreck that day. It was awesome. They took our e-mail address and said they would let us know when the documentary was finished. He is a promo of the film so far. I think they captured the essence of the place very well. Enjoy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qLH_a_WLQD4
I'm Lothar and I approved this message