Rigging Weddless Lures

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing
Mako

Post by Mako »

Excellent post Bill.....this is what keeps people coming back to this Forum :)

Hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this rigging post to show another idea for the DOA shrimp to present it swimming forward in a natural way.

I'm sure everyone knows that the way Bill has it rigged mimics a shrimp escaping from predators. Shrimp will kick their tails and swim backwards when they're being chased.

In this picture you can see how I used the same groove where the original hook was located. You can push this hook up or down to give more or less exposure to the tip. Depending on your preference, you can also remove the weight inside the shrimp's belly. 1/0 or 2/0 would be the size hooks to use.

This rig got me a snook and a red at the last the DOA tournament.

Tip: DOA shrimp are made of harder plastic than other shrimp, so make sure that the hook can easily move up and get exposed when setting it. Your hook-up ratio will improve.

Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
Sully

Post by Sully »

Great information guys. I appreciate the tips. I have always just used the DOA shrimp out of the package without much change but this sure gets me thinking.
TRUE
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://www.paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17794&am

Post by Norm »

I have fished with the DOA shrimp in the past using the offset shank hooks and rigged it backwards with very good success. But I must say with the arrival of the Mustad power lock hooks, it is a much improved way to fish them. I really like the way Mako uses his in the forward position too.
The DOA really lends itself so well to a soft presentation, and having a way to rig it weedless makes it a killer lure.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
robbrody

Post by robbrody »

Thank you for sharing this information. I have tried using the offset hooks with limited success, but never considered these. I will have to try it.
FireBri

Post by FireBri »

Thanks for the thread! Gotta get some of those Power Locks!
Catching all these fish is cutting into my beer time.

-Dad
SirFishAlot

Post by SirFishAlot »

I am fairly new to yak fishing. These are some good information. Thanks.
A bad fishing day is better than a good day in the office.