How many mash the barbs down on their hooks?

To mash or not?

Yes I mash them down
57%
No, I'll take my chances.
43%

Total votes: 56

Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I've never mashed a barb. I don't target trout or fish that jump with any kind of treble hooks. I quit doing that a long time ago. I rarely catch trout, snook, tarpon, and ladyfish on anything but a fly anyways. A barbed #4 or #2 fly hook is very easy to extract with a good pair of pliers. The only time I use trebles is with a Skitterwalk Jr. for redfish. It simply won't balance correctly with single hooks (I've tried every combination I can think of). Reds are tough, and I rarely have any problem removing the hooks. I know much of the rationale for mashing barbs is to avoid getting hooked, but if you're careful and make use of a Boga to subdue fish while they're in the water, getting hooked is really unlikely. In my 20 some-odd years of fishing, I've never even had a close call.
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Dustin wrote: In my 20 some-odd years of fishing, I've never even had a close call.
Thats becasue you haven't gone flyfishing with me yet. :lol:
- Jon
silentrunning

Post by silentrunning »

I just take the hooks off my lures. It makes them so much easier to retrieve out of the mangroves and since I don't catch anything anyway....
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Although i personally do not care to do it (as of yet), here's a good case for "de-barbing" and for wearing shades while fishing.

WARNING! Very graphic images, not for the weak of stomach.
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2605 ... 114vh5.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5479 ... 028vm9.jpg
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/516/image0037bt0.jpg
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
madmarco

Post by madmarco »

Puke city, jeez,
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

I fish with my 8 y/o son much of the time. I mashed the barbs this last weekend to spare him and me the trip to the hospital if a barbed hook were buried too deep. We might loose a fish or 3, but I have been hooked by a barbed treble when I was a kid, and it's as fun as it looks.

Jeeze, I hope that kid didn't loose his eye.
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Due to the graphic nature of the pics, I didn't look. but my grandfather found out the hard way why to take out the barbs this weekend, a sailcat on a topwater that buried a hook deep into his thumb, he had to take pliers and yank it out, way more pain/blood than necessary. I've had a barbless hook all the way into me and it come right out, easy as pie, Not to mention, if you know how to fight a fish, the losses are minimal :wink:
"I tell you now we won't give in
Without a vicious fight, We've been battered and left for dead, We've been beaten and we have bled-Versus the world" ~Amon Amarth
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Ouch!
I have already had to take my better half to have a topwater plug removed from her ankle, not cheap, AND it ruined a perfectly good, brand new lure. Since then, all trouble, I mean treble, hooks get smashed before going in the tackle bag. A lost fish is less expensive than a ER copay.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

skinnywater wrote:Ouch!
I have already had to take my better half to have a topwater plug removed from her ankle, not cheap, AND it ruined a perfectly good, brand new lure. ...
my girl tried to convince me there was a law against that.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -