Winter Clothing

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
kspops

Post by kspops »

They more than likely started the rumor, just to sell the extra belts :P
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Kingslayer...since you are so certainly convinced are you saying that you would be the volunteer to try the experiment..? :lol:
There must be a reason for the belt rather than cheese.
( cheese... a term in retail sales that means tacking something onto the sale to increase revenue..ie. extended warranties )

On the surface (pun intended) I agree with the physics. Maybe using the safety belt is more of a convenience item so you minimise the chance of cold huevos..?
Take the waders and throw them in the pool. They might float. They might be negatively bouyant. They might slowly sink.

They're going to have that exact same effect on you while you're wearing them.
This is true......I vote for sink once they fill with water if thrown in by themselves.
However I do agree that physics is physics. So on to the pool.
Here's a new question. Does anyone here have any practical personal experience with having filled their waders? :arrow:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Another thing to look at is the Nike Pros. They are kind of like underarmor but made to retain heat.

They are very warm and at times down right hot! But, they're easy to take off so if they ever get too warm you can just take 'em off.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

mauso1 wrote:Does anyone here have any practical personal experience with having filled their waders? :arrow:
This is a srious discussion but there are so many jokes here it's unbelievable :lol:
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Jim...I know that was wide open but I was trying to be serious...I would really like to hear from the horses mouth not from theory and conjecture.

This issue is like deep water re-entry..some thing that may have to be practised...Fortunatley I have have never filled up.

Guess I'll have to be the one in the pool...will you supervise ?...Please.
Bring your kit.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

It seems the problem would not be sinking but the fact you are never going to get back in your kayak with 200 pounds of water in your pants.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

seeinred wrote:http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... bled=false

Great waders at a great price. I wear sweat pants or basketball shorts and high socks underneathe them.
What if u gotta pee? :shock:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Sorry Randy, it was too good to pass up.

I agree, I would like to know more. I don't have waders but have really considered them. I can see the belt as a way to reduce the water intrusion if you fall in but it's not going to stop it. If you fall in a stream and get back up you will be a little damp but not soaked or full. On the other hand, waders weren't really designed for kayak use. I would like to see some real information as well.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

It seems the problem would not be sinking but the fact you are never going to get back in your kayak with 200 pounds of water in your pants.
Herein lieth the major question ... :?: Twether it is possible to do a deep water re-entry with your waders full or not ..for me I'd say they would have to be jettisoned 1st... Probably not quite 200lbs but still cumbersome. Good point Ryan :!:
There still is the pool demo...volunteers ?
ray-uk

Post by ray-uk »

apart from summer, i tend to wear neoprene chesties on almost every trip out.

my pfd has 2 adjustable straps, one around the waist and one around the chest, when fastened they act like a wading belt.

if i am going on a river, then i will also wear a wading belt.

i practise my deep water re-entry as often as poss and under different conditions.

my waders do not fill up with water and never have, sure if i am in the water for a while, then i will get some water in them, but certainly not enough to cause me any concern or problems with re-entry.

ray.
I'm not here to be liked. I do this for the good of the paddle-fishing community.
madmarco

Post by madmarco »

Well its seems like winter is over here in Florida! :lol: :lol:
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

mauso1 wrote:Kingslayer...since you are so certainly convinced are you saying that you would be the volunteer to try the experiment..? :lol:
There must be a reason for the belt rather than cheese.
( cheese... a term in retail sales that means tacking something onto the sale to increase revenue..ie. extended warranties )

On the surface (pun intended) I agree with the physics. Maybe using the safety belt is more of a convenience item so you minimise the chance of cold huevos..?
Take the waders and throw them in the pool. They might float. They might be negatively bouyant. They might slowly sink.

They're going to have that exact same effect on you while you're wearing them.
This is true......I vote for sink once they fill with water if thrown in by themselves.
However I do agree that physics is physics. So on to the pool.
Here's a new question. Does anyone here have any practical personal experience with having filled their waders? :arrow:
Sure! I'll be more than happy to. Send me some waders. XL short preferrably neoprene with built in socks so I can wear my wading boots with them. Something thin so they aren't that hot.

And yes, I do have personal experience with waders filling up. Many, many times. Fish a few Pa trout streams with nice slippery rocks and you're bound to go down a few times. I've done it with hip waders and chest waders.

It's not a big deal.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Sure! I'll be more than happy to. Send me some waders. XL short preferrably neoprene with built in socks so I can wear my wading boots with them. Something thin so they aren't that hot.
Perfect .. :lol: that is the exact size of my waders..however not neoprene so I guess I won't be able to donate...I ditched those years ago and went to breathables...

However if I ever fish the AuSable (or other assorted rivers)for winter steelies again I have to get some neo's..or wear something very warm under them..by the way anyone interested in a custom noodle rod?
http://www.jhigley.org/
Riverpirate

Post by Riverpirate »

Here is the skinny from someone who has done it. Chest waders are the way to go. The breathable kind are great. Orvis are great but mine are the cheaper Bas Pro Shop brand. Yes a wading belt is a good idea. It will help keep some of the water out for a second or two if you dump in shallow water. If you dump in deep water it will help for a few seconds but probably not long enough to matter unless your are quick on your re-entry.

No, waders will not weight you down and cause you to sink even when filled with water. They become pretty much neutrally boyant. But, the amount of water in them is directly related to wheather or not you can get back in the yak during a deep water re-entry. It is harder to get back in with a wader full of water. You certainly may have to take them off before you can get back in based on your technique and strength.

Some here have also mentioned PFDs as being important and they certainly are. But PFD's can and do make it harder to do a deep water re-entry as well. Especially if they are not yak PFD's. If they are the infatable type or the old standard PFD they make it really hard to do a deep water re-entry. I have never been a proponent of removing a PFD to re-enter so make sure you use a yaking/conoe type PFD and not an infatable or the big standard types.

But all this brings up a very important issue and that is deep water re-entry. I hope you have all practiced it during the warmer months and are capable of doing it. It is somethng that must be practiced and you must be capable of doing it before venturing in water over your head. Re-entry is a serious issue and even more important in the cold months.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

redfisher wrote:It seems the problem would not be sinking but the fact you are never going to get back in your kayak with 200 pounds of water in your pants.
I actually thought about this but it's kinda like not going into certain bars in and around Tampa thinking you're going to come out of it alive. :shock:

What I mean is, don't put yourself in that situation. 99% of the time we (well at least myself) are on the flats in 4-5 feet of water or less. I don't do the Gulf. If I do happen to be in or crossing a channel it is never very far to shallow water.

The places I fish, I really do think I can get to shallow water with waders and a PFD on.

Gil

p.s. I have fallen into mountain streams with my waders on but again, I was in shallow enough water to just stand up. Never gave 'em a chance to fill up ... that dang water is COLD!! :shock: :shock:
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

mauso1 wrote:
Perfect .. :lol: that is the exact size of my waders..however not neoprene so I guess I won't be able to donate...I ditched those years ago and went to breathables...

However if I ever fish the AuSable (or other assorted rivers)for winter steelies again I have to get some neo's..or wear something very warm under them..by the way anyone interested in a custom noodle rod?
http://www.jhigley.org/
Are the breatheables decent in the winter? How are they in the summer?