Finish?

Snook712

Finish?

Post by Snook712 »

FOo practice with the new rod lathe, I took the old guides off an ancient spinning reel and put new ones on with a simple butt wrap. Although the power wrapping took some practice (and a lot of unwrapping at times) it was fun.

I am ready to apply finish and have some of the packets of Cabelas rod finish. Has anyone ever used these?

Also, is there anyplace in the Tampa Bay area that sells rod building supplies? I need some basics and will be in the area this weekend. It would save me an order from Mudhole if I could pick up a few things.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
Gramps

Post by Gramps »

Snook,

I remember Yohan has used the Cabela's epoxy and liked it. http://www.paddle-fishing-forum.com/vie ... hp?t=19039 That is a link to the post where he used it.

Also, I will be putting in an order to Mudhole sometime in the next week. If you want to order anything let me know and I will put it in my order, to save shipping.

Or checkout http://www.fishsticks4u.com/ The owner is very nice and ships promptly. He sells Lamar Fishing products (mandrels, thread master, exotic burl, etc.). I really like the Thread Master Lite & use a 1/4" mandrel for turning cork.

Hope this helps.
-Scott

And across from the bar there's a pile of beer cans
Been there twenty-seven years
Imagine all the heart aches and tears
In twenty-seven years of beer
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I have used the Cabelas packets amd did not like them. First of all, to get the mix right, you have to use the whole packets and you can't use it all before it starts setting.

I prefer FlexCoat Lite, myself.

Bett's Tackle on Starkey Road in Largo has rod building supplies.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?