Bull Dog Red

Flamingo to Big Bend
SlikNik

Bull Dog Red

Post by SlikNik »

What a shweeet day today was. The tide was incoming and the winds were blowing from the East.
While anchored up around an island point I saw a huge wake, then it's back sticking out of the water chasing down my Spook Jr. :shock: Smash!!
It was like setting the hooks into a log. After a tense 10-15 minute battle I landed this 32" beauty. It was sooo fat and had a huge head and shoulder area.
This capped off a great day. I also ran into a few Paddle-fishing forum members out there today, pleasure meeting you guys :D
Total tally
4 snook hookups, 3 landed
2 Reds
1 nice trout
chuckst1

Post by chuckst1 »

Sweeet... 8)
newyaker

Post by newyaker »

Nice going ! You are on a roll ! I too was able to bring a red today ,but not as big. My second red caught here in Florida. They are a blast to reel in .
Thanks for the great pictures !
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

What? :o No video? Oh well, what a great fish anyway.
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

Nick,

That's a beauty of a red. Nice meeting you today. Glad you were able to catch some nice fish. I just got some dink trout, grouper, snapper, ladyfish and catfish. I did see a Sea Turtle, so that was my high light. The lowlight was getting stopped by the Marine patrol and getting rewarded with a 90 dollar fine for not having a life jacket on my buddies kayak. :(
7TH AVEcrewKyle

Post by 7TH AVEcrewKyle »

You are making me seriously consider not throwing anything but a Spook ever again. I might catch 1/10th the fish but it would be worth it.
click clack BOOM
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24737&st

Post by Norm »

geoffsnook wrote:Nick,

That's a beauty of a red. Nice meeting you today. Glad you were able to catch some nice fish. I just got some dink trout, grouper, snapper, ladyfish and catfish. I did see a Sea Turtle, so that was my high light. The lowlight was getting stopped by the Marine patrol and getting rewarded with a 90 dollar fine for not having a life jacket on my buddies kayak. :(
:shock: Ouch :!: That will make a day suck :roll:

Hell of a Red there Nik
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
SlikNik

Post by SlikNik »

geoffsnook wrote:Nick,

The lowlight was getting stopped by the Marine patrol and getting rewarded with a 90 dollar fine for not having a life jacket on my buddies kayak. :(
He was making the rounds checking out all the kayakers today. After asking me if I had my life jacket I saw him speed over to check out LimeCider
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

It would be fine if your buddy drove to the launch on a motorcycle without a helmet but he damn sure better have a pfd in 2 feet of water. Jackass cop.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

DaveR wrote:It would be fine if your buddy drove to the launch on a motorcycle without a helmet but he damn sure better have a pfd in 2 feet of water. Jackass cop.
Agree with it or not, it is the law. It is not the cops job to determine which laws make sense and which don't.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pbr

Post by pbr »

Geoff did this happen over at Whitfield or Cockroach bay area?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Rik wrote:
DaveR wrote:It would be fine if your buddy drove to the launch on a motorcycle without a helmet but he damn sure better have a pfd in 2 feet of water. Jackass cop.
Agree with it or not, it is the law. It is not the cops job to determine which laws make sense and which don't.
Agree the law is the law,,,,,but........with all the drunkin boaters, poachers, illeagal trespassers, No Motor Zone Violators, ect. ect. and the fact they continue to whine about being understaffed wouldn't it be more prudent to tackle some of the bigger problems than kayakers w/o PFD's........Priorties for god sakes .........just my 2 cents
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Rik

Post by Rik »

From what i understand, he was out there checking everyone. These guys weren't singled out.

Sounds to me like he was looking for violations - drunk boating, poaching, no fishing license - along with safety violations. Just his very presence in the area worked towards catching or preventing no motor/idle speed zone violations.

The guy was doing his job which, last I checked, is what we ask them to do.

It wasn't the cops fault that they didn't have a PFD. And...one part left out of the story that I heard later....the cop gave him one to use so he could stay on the water.

Dave is just still mad over that speeding ticket he got..................
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
HellOnReels

Post by HellOnReels »

I have dealt with an a-hole wildlife officer before. In this case, though I have to say he was doing his job. We all should be thinking safety first and have proper equipment on board. It may seem trivial, but when you need it, you'll be glad you have it. BTW, nice red Nik! :wink:
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

Well he wasn't singling us out. He checked everyone. With the number of kayakers on the water these days, I understand it. Kind of. But it seems like with the small number of the FWC, they can't really do a whole lot except ruin people's days.

However, he told me he does get to chase poachers when he does night duty.

He could have given me worse if I were being a terd to him. Apparently they can give you an automatic 70 dollar fine if they "feel" like it, depending upon the demeanor of the fisherman.

He did give my buddy a life jacket and told us to turn it in later, so we could still fish. But my day was pretty much jacked. I could have gone in at that moment. But since my buddy and I are splitting the fine, I thought it was a bit selfish to go in right away.

He was a decent human being. I've been around some marine patrol that clearly aren't! Frustrating. The other guys with me "knew the rules." That's what made it worse. :D Oh the details...
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Nice redfish, Nik.

Really like the picture, with the light coming thru his fins.

Congratulations on a great day of fishing.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]