Capt. Dick's Stake out Pole

chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

Thanks everyone for all the responses and opinions.

I have been in contact with Capt Dick and he has been very helpful.
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

I've got a PVC one, never use it anymore, I just drop anchor. No muss, no fuss.
Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

seeinred wrote:Everyone knows they are beast for clubbing and spearing baby seals.
Thanks for the new tag line S.I.R
Credo quia absurdum
Mark R

Re: Capt. Dick's Stake out Pole

Post by Mark R »

CaptDick wrote:
chewbaka1973 wrote:SO i wanted to ask this very knowledgeable forum who uses a Capt dick's stake out pole? I recently aquired on but am having trouble using it in sandy bottom. :?:
I had made one out of PVC with a metal tip and never had much problems with it stickin.
Anyone have any advice?
I am sorry you have found the CDE SOP not to be effective in penetrating the hard pack sand bottom typically found in your fishing area. If you will send it back to CDE I will refund your purchase price or exchange it for other items of equal value. Did you purchase it directly from CDE or one of my dealers? FWIW, there are a several knockoff's of the "Original CaptDick StakeOutPole" available in Florida.

The CaptDick StakeOutPole is difficult to use, as are most other SOP's, in hard packed sand bottoms, but, HAS BEEN USED SUCCESSFULLY in areas with many oyster bars. It will penetrate oyster bars.

The return address is: CaptDick Enterprises
3296 Hardee Ave
Chamblee, GA 30341

If you have any questions call me at 770-630-8828.
I want one, were can I get one, St. Pete FL.?
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

tropview wrote: I want one, were can I get one, St. Pete FL.?
Tom ,aka Kayaka(a forum member), sells the wang anchor. It works great and he has been there to support BACK and the FSYR. Tom donated 6 of his SOPs to BAC,K for the boys and girls of the FSYR to use.
Last edited by Redfisher on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
chewbaka1973

Post by chewbaka1973 »

tropview wrote:
CaptDick wrote:
chewbaka1973 wrote:SO i wanted to ask this very knowledgeable forum who uses a Capt dick's stake out pole? I recently aquired on but am having trouble using it in sandy bottom. :?:
I had made one out of PVC with a metal tip and never had much problems with it stickin.
Anyone have any advice?
I am sorry you have found the CDE SOP not to be effective in penetrating the hard pack sand bottom typically found in your fishing area. If you will send it back to CDE I will refund your purchase price or exchange it for other items of equal value. Did you purchase it directly from CDE or one of my dealers? FWIW, there are a several knockoff's of the "Original CaptDick StakeOutPole" available in Florida.

The CaptDick StakeOutPole is difficult to use, as are most other SOP's, in hard packed sand bottoms, but, HAS BEEN USED SUCCESSFULLY in areas with many oyster bars. It will penetrate oyster bars.

The return address is: CaptDick Enterprises
3296 Hardee Ave
Chamblee, GA 30341

If you have any questions call me at 770-630-8828.
I want one, were can I get one, St. Pete FL.?

Bill Jackson's has them.
Chewy
Use the force and your drag.........
Tight Lines!

2008 Hobie Revolution Mirage( Hobie-Wan Kenobi )
Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem Olive
The Below Average Angler

Post by The Below Average Angler »

One word, Stick-It Anchor pin................So I can't count.
Jason
Shep

Post by Shep »

seeinred wrote:Making fun of typos is almost as unoriginal as making fun of Todd for being short.
Yet still amusing. :wink:
New place, new fishing adventures.
aneffie53

Post by aneffie53 »

Fishaddict wrote:I quit trying to use SOPs. They were too cumbersome, didn't stick, bent, nearly turned the kayak over when placed in scupper holes. I use my 3 lb anchor in most situations when I don't want to drift. It doesn't seem to be noisy and I can situate it in any position with the anchor trolley.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.
I'll have to say I'm finding it difficult to use my new SOP (hubby made it from PVC and a broom handle), for fishing. It does hold, which is good but the current action makes it feel really wierd (like the kayak is going to tip). I do prefer the feel of the anchor for fishing. However I have found a great use for it. We fish in Ozello for the most part, and the wind has been pretty fierce on the flats lately that and the drastic tides make getting back in sometimes very difficult. I have taken to using the pole to catch a break from paddling in these situations, and not get blown back to where I was a few minutes previously works wonderfully for this.
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

redfisher wrote:
tropview wrote: I want one, were can I get one, St. Pete FL.?
DON"T BUY THE CAPT DICK!!! Tom ,aka Kayaka, sells the wang anchor. It's much better and he has been there to support BACK and the FSYR.
Thats a pretty bold statement to make, since Capt Dick has been supporting the kayak fishing community since long before the Extreme Edge tour that ended 3 years ago and was coincidently 3 days before Redfisher made his first post asking for advice about buying his first kayak on this forum. And yes I fished that EE tourney championship there in Tampa, and remember the blow-up at the event that ended the tour.

CDE has been supporting the community for a long time and makes a great product. If its not working in your type of fishing then sell it or don't buy it. I don't know anything about the Wang anchor, but I wouldn't just make a blanket statement for you not to buy it. It looks like a fine system too. I recommend you buy the product that suits your fishing, and do a little research like this fellow that started the thread has been doing. But I would ease off on trashing a guy whose product is getting copied every other day by someone re-inventing a STICK! Its a great product. And I've been using mine for over three years from New York to Tampa and back over to Panama City.

However, all that being said, I may be considered a little bias since I was fishing with Stan of CDE this morning over here and put him on this redfish this morning.

Fish the Forgotten Coast.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Whatever dude!!

I only thought it would be nice to support a forum member who DONATED to the FSYR. I was showing my appreciation and I don't believe I trashed anyone. Maybe instead of doing all that research you could have just read my post. The other guys were only posting their opinions. I think that is still allowed.

Has it really only been 3 years?? :P
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I'm pretty sure I read "DON"T BUY THE CAPT DICK" and I'm real sure that is trashing the dude. You might want to read what you write. If I knew you and someone trashed you, I'd defend you too. Dude!
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

You know what, I disagree ,but since you are sticking up for your friend and feel that way I will "reword" my post. I am not here to offend and argue.

However I have to wonder if Henry Ford's friends get this tweeked everytime someone suggest a Chevy. :D :wink:
Last edited by Redfisher on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Ah, the spirit of competition!

Everyone take a breath. I use one that's completely different than the ones mentioned. Maybe I should bring that up and slam everyone elses' product? I also have the Captain Dicks and made some of my own.

The people at Captain Dick's were very nice to me years ago when I talked to them. Look at whatever options are out there and pick your own. You'll probably be pretty happy with whatever your choice is. The horse$shit I see posted on here is a real headscratcher. Kudos to CaptDick for taking a shot at trying to accomodate a past customer. But I can tell you for a fact: Hard packed sand areas are tough to get a stakeout in to no matter what stakeout you get.

There is a solution: Drop down your anchor in that situation or don't stake out there because there aren't any fish there anyway
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

If Capt Dick was rolling in cash from selling Stakeout poles, I probably would not be as tweaked, but right now he's barely hanging on like the rest of us, and all we have is our friends sometimes. You don't need to edit your post, your just as passionate to support your friend as I am mine, but there is no need to trash him. How many vendors come to the site to back up their products? I know he did. He's a good guy, who has supported many kayak fishing charity tournaments, and stands by his products which also included stakeout poles. I just think a guy who was there in the beginning of this sport we all enjoy, deserves a little more respect. My two cents.
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

jsuber wrote:If Capt Dick was rolling in cash from selling Stakeout poles, I probably would not be as tweaked, but right now he's barely hanging on like the rest of us, and all we have is our friends sometimes. You don't need to edit your post, your just as passionate to support your friend as I am mine, but there is no need to trash him. How many vendors come to the site to back up their products? I know he did. He's a good guy, who has supported many kayak fishing charity tournaments, and stands by his products which also included stakeout poles. I just think a guy who was there in the beginning of this sport we all enjoy, deserves a little more respect. My two cents.

Tom from Wang Anchor has, does, and I'm sure will continue to back up his product on this site and others.

Wang Anchor has also supported many charity fishing tournaments as well as other charity events.

Why should someone who has been around longer deserve more respect? I'm a teenager and feel I deserve just as much respect on the water as any of the other old farts on here, or should they be held in higher respect simply because they're older?
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer