09 tarpon's

MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

If you look at the top views of the old and new, it looks as though they have changed the bottom part to be more like a 140 hull. Go get one Todd so we can see for sure.
mudfish

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25505&am

Post by mudfish »

Todd wrote:...Paul-the seat is not necessarily higher but re-configured to stay drier, you can see in the comparison pictures above.
I read they raised the height of the cockpit deck to make it drier, not sure if that included the seat.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Skeeter

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25505&am

Post by Skeeter »

Todd wrote:
Heywood wrote:Screw the color, whats up with that signature Todd :shock:
A certain someone, to remain un-named, has poor texting abilites and sent that text to the wrong person. He knows who it is. :lol:
So can we assume that MarkM has a new squeeze?
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

BearGoneFishin wrote:

this does look like it will be slower than its predecessor. I hope I dont end up with a slower kayak than I expected or my tarpon will be in the classified section soon. I guess I will find out in two weeks.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

JoseC wrote: I hope I dont end up with a slower kayak than I expected or my tarpon will be in the classified section soon. I guess I will find out in two weeks.
:roll: You still have to paddle it. Not sure what your expectations are but the 160 is probably still the one SOT with the capability to paddle faster than any other kayak out there, except for maybe the Phoenix 160. It still depends on the paddler.

What you will get with a longer boat is more glide, you may not necessarily be the fastest paddler out there but it stays at speed easier than shorter boats. 160's also track very straight.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

Todd wrote:
JoseC wrote: I hope I dont end up with a slower kayak than I expected or my tarpon will be in the classified section soon. I guess I will find out in two weeks.
:roll: You still have to paddle it. Not sure what your expectations are but the 160 is probably still the one SOT with the capability to paddle faster than any other kayak out there, except for maybe the Phoenix 160. It still depends on the paddler.

What you will get with a longer boat is more glide, you may not necessarily be the fastest paddler out there but it stays at speed easier than shorter boats. 160's also track very straight.
as long as the wind doesnt push me arround like crazy (like it does on my redfish) and I can keep up with Nick without being exhausted when we reach our destination Ill be happy, but the fact that they made it sit higher in the water worries me a tad because one of the big things that made me want to get it is the fact that nick and peter dont get blown half way across the flat like I did on windy days.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Keep the Redfish, buy a rudder
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

I plan on keeping the redfish for a while, I love that boat, and the rudder was one of the best investments I made for it. I just wanted the tarpon for windy days.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
BearGoneFishin

Post by BearGoneFishin »

Based on the new lines alone it will not be as fast of a boat. Even thought the bottom hull is supposedly the same, you can clearly see that the boat is not as streamlined as before. Less streamline will equate into a slower boat. Also, if they raised up the side rails and the seat, you will be catching more wind with that boat than the previous 160.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

BearGoneFishin wrote:Based on the new lines alone it will not be as fast of a boat. Even thought the bottom hull is supposedly the same, you can clearly see that the boat is not as streamlined as before. Less streamline will equate into a slower boat. Also, if they raised up the side rails and the seat, you will be catching more wind with that boat than the previous 160.
But since length has alot to do with wind cocking, and being 2 feet longer than the Redfish, and with a much lower profile, it will be much more difficult for the wind to turn the Tarpon. Also, since it tracks and glides so well, I doubt you'll have the same wind problems as the Redfish be it the old or new model 160i.
As said before so many times, every kayak out there has it's good points as well as bad. That said, without a rudder I bet it takes a few good strong strokes to turn around the 160i when you want it to turn, or even maneuver a tight trail. Shorter boats with more rocker are easier to turn. I have the T-140 and even at 14' it was pretty tough getting it turned around before I got my rudder.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I stopped by Canoe Country Outfitters yesterday to pick up a few parts for my Tarpon and visited with Jeremy and Scotty and they have the 09's instock ready for delivery or order if you want a special color. The 14 they had on the floor is a yellow.

All I can say is...they are SCHWEET.. 8)

7 come 11....baby needs a new pair of shoes.. :idea:

The hatches locking systems are very sturdy, the seat system ( from the pungo ) looks very comfy and is height adjustable , the tankwell is huge with an adjustable bungee system, a storage web on each side just forward of the seat made of rubber ( not that crappy netting stuff that tangles hooks :roll: ) the cockpit is going to be a bit drier IMO ( comes with scupper plugs @ no additional cost ) and IMO the plastic is just a tad harder.

All in all very cool.
You gotta go see them if you haven't already. 8)
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

mauso1 wrote:the seat system ( from the pungo ) looks very comfy and is height adjustable...
See, they do listen to Todd's input!
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Dont forget that 16 feet is the magic number for required licensing. Love seeing the FL numbers on kayaks.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Fishaddict wrote:Dont forget that 16 feet is the magic number for required licensing. Love seeing the FL numbers on kayaks.
Is a non-powered vessel required to be registered and titled?

If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be titled.

Key word-more than 16. No FL numbers required for a Tarpon 160.
apx255

Post by apx255 »

Is a non-powered vessel required to be registered and titled?

If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be titled.
looks like it will need to be titled....The T160 is listed at 16' and based on the description you provided you'll need to title it......
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

No 160 has ever been titled.