Snook Sores?

Flamingo to Big Bend
Lime Cider

Snook Sores?

Post by Lime Cider »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been fishing dark-water creeks and canals lately and most of the Snook that I am seeing have similar sores on the tops of their heads. Could it be from the quality of the water or a bacteria? It almost looks as if the scales were scraped off.
Anyways, yesterday I took a vacation day and fished with Rick aka, "fishvision". We saw and missed many big linesiders and started off with some little Snooklets on topwaters. Then, mid-morning I got this 34"er on a Yozuri Crystal Minnow. The fish don't act sick. They still fight hard and swim away strong. I just haven't noticed the sores in years past.

Merry Christmas!
Russ
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

That's weird about the sores..could it be from paddling on their heads too many times? :lol: Nice snook..I've been trying deep dark creeks but it might be a little too warm back where I'm at.
HellOnReels

Post by HellOnReels »

I posted about this a couple months ago. I saw three like that all in the same day. :?
DayumSon

Post by DayumSon »

Hey Russ nice Snook!

Snook patterned baldness is evil!

By the way I'm lovin' your new Headcam upgrade!!
"I once cried because I did not have any shoes to wear.... until I met a man with no feet"

Dayum Son!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Sure looks like physical damage to me. I just don't know how they would get it if it is. Throw Mote an email maybe.
BTW, nice snuke!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

If you were in the area I think you were I also saw some very large Snook that had all kinds of marks or sores in that srea. Could be the water quality there could be that it is upstream from a spot that has had alot of construction ie explosions. Could the Snook have been beat up from falling debri from those exsposions?
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
paddlaroun

Post by paddlaroun »

Heywood says
Gill Net
That would be possible for that area also. :(
Dan Native 12
"Sleep in fish late"

"I know the waters cold! Wet your hand anyway!!!"
Hornetbear

Post by Hornetbear »

ive seen them like that too down here since I was a kid. I think when they move into the canals and rivers in the winter they feed between the mangroves and they get like that from the abrasion. I've seen them like that before....

I think a gill net is usually a death sentence for a big snook.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

In the dead of summer you'll catch snook that have major lesions on one side. Those ones are from people "sand dragging" a snook to land them on the beaches.

In my experiences in the wintertime, about one in 20 snook have markings like this on them. I think that some of them are abrasions from a hooked fish taking to stucture, like a dock, bridge or roots and making contact with the structure when the line causes them to be tangled in the structure.

I could hypothesize another thing this could be: The lead line from a cast net. Another popular way of poaching snook is to cast net them in the coldest months. I could imagine seeing the fish temporarily having the side fine caught in the mesh with the lead line over its side and leaving a "one-side" abrasion.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

I see redfish get sores like that one them from being in a school and rubbing against one another. This time of year the snookschool up when they move into the creeks and rivers, perhaps it's from bumping heads with one another.

Regardless, nice snook and new cam set up Russ!
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

LivelyBaits wrote:In the dead of summer you'll catch snook that have major lesions on one side. Those ones are from people "sand dragging" a snook to land them on the beaches.

In my experiences in the wintertime, about one in 20 snook have markings like this on them. I think that some of them are abrasions from a hooked fish taking to stucture, like a dock, bridge or roots and making contact with the structure when the line causes them to be tangled in the structure.

I could hypothesize another thing this could be: The lead line from a cast net. Another popular way of poaching snook is to cast net them in the coldest months. I could imagine seeing the fish temporarily having the side fine caught in the mesh with the lead line over its side and leaving a "one-side" abrasion.
Can fish suffer damage that is not caused by human interaction?
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I would say from rubbing up against mangrove roots if you are catching fish in creeks. But hope you get an answer from MOTE.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Me, personally, I would not go in the water past my knees if I were catching snook with sores like that. A sore like that in the wrong place would be very hard to explain.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Todd wrote:Me, personally, I would not go in the water past my knees...
[insert short joke here]

Nice snook. I would agree that it's from rubbing mangroves, docks and such.