Head Cement

Snook712

Head Cement

Post by Snook712 »

I have finally started tying and am having fun. It is a good thing since it was 24 degrees this morning in the big bend.

I have been using some Hard as Nails clear nail polish confiscated from Mrs. Snook712 for head cement and it seems to work OK. What are you using for head cement and does it help to use "real" cement rather than nail polish. I am mainly using it to firm up yarn wraps on crabs flies and on thread wraps on heads.

I will get some photos of the first flies to post.
Hooked on Youth Fishing Team - Sponsored by Cat Crap Lip Balm
"Fishing for the Future"
Ultimate 12 (Green)
Malibu Stealth 14 (Sand)
Roger
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I use hard as nails on mine.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

John wrote:I use hard as nails on mine.
I believe he was talking about flies.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
ozmo

Post by ozmo »

I've used Sally's product for quite some time and have never had a problem. It even holds up to all the barracuda that choose to bite my flies when I'm fishing for something else.

Another great adhesive is Fletch-Tite. It's an epoxy for securing fletching to arrows. Absolutely amazing for gluing plastic eyes onto your flies. One time I had a fly (freshwater in the glades) that had survived well over a dozen cichlids, oscars & bass. The actual eyes had fallen off but their silver backings were still stuck on. Good stuff.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

I usually use a clear quick drying polish as a first coat and then finish with hard as nails for a smooth, hard top coat. Used to use "real" head cement but don't remember what it was.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

super glue for me...nothing is stronger or faster
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails here too. There is nothing better or easier.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

super glue for me...nothing is stronger or faster

Same here but coat after with hard as nails for gloss.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

In addition to Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails clear, I use Cover Girl "Boundless Colors" and Wet-N-Wild "Wild Shine". Gold glitter in one, silver glitter in the other ... cool stuff.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:In addition to Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails clear, I use Cover Girl "Boundless Colors" and Wet-N-Wild "Wild Shine". Gold glitter in one, silver glitter in the other ... cool stuff.
Haven't tried any of the glitters, I do occasionally use the other colors to add eyes and details.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
ozmo

Post by ozmo »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:In addition to Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails clear, I use Cover Girl "Boundless Colors" and Wet-N-Wild "Wild Shine". Gold glitter in one, silver glitter in the other ... cool stuff.
And I can confirm Gil looks very pretty when he uses this. He even coordinates the glitter with his evening gown.

:)

pending name change for Gil to GILs_GONE_WET-N-WILD
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Jealous!? :P
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
bonefishwhisperer

Post by bonefishwhisperer »

I like the sound of that...its gotta be good scenery to go shopping for it if you can get past the stares :shock:
Gen 9:2 "And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered." .... even God likes Dreads....
ozmo

Post by ozmo »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:Jealous!? :P
Don't you know it! I can never find just the right shade to match my evening gown.

BFW - I use various colored nail polishes to paint jig heads (no really, honest). Of course I never fish with them. Strictly fly rods for me. :). I'm also a person of large stature.

But I get some pretty interesting looks when I forget where I am and ask the sales clerks if they have anything that's closer to chartreuse. :) Then I get the look and realize - big guy, in the nail polish department, asking for weird colors... hmmm.... oh can I show you my crawlspace as well?

And the scenery - sometimes good. Sometimes not so good.
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

:lol: Kids always pick on me about shopping for nail polish.

Now, to the important stuff,
Tonight I found something I hadn't noticed before, Sally Hansen Insta Dri. Anyone ever used it? The only thing I don't like about Hard As Nails is it takes so long to dry between coats. The bottle says wait two minutes,apply a coat and it dries to the touch in 30 seconds. It doesn't say if it's made to use with Hard As Nails.
Jim - snooty elitist

Uncle Ji

Post by Uncle Ji »

I too use a medium viscosity Cyanoacrylate adhesive (the runny stuff glues my fingers together before I notice), then top off with NYC Long Wearing Nail Enamel in clear. Sometimes I'll even mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy when I feel energetic.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum