flyline wt. vs rod wt. and $$$

Sully

flyline wt. vs rod wt. and $$$

Post by Sully »

I recently purchased line to replace that which came prerigged on a St. Croix combo. I picked up some SA Ultra 4 Saltwater WF-8-F. It was the pricier of the two available at the shop (about twice as much). The other being an SA brand as well.

After reading some of the posts regarding flyline options I am now having doubts. Do I need the pricier version? And should I be using a 9 wt. line instead?

I don't need advice on brand preference right now because I am limited to what this shop offers (SA only) and I am trying to use up a gift certificate. I know there are several other brand names out their and I am sure I will develop a preference as I gain experience but this is my first line purchase.

Thanks.
TRUE
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I go up one line in weight on all my fly rod/reel set-ups that I kayak fish with. I do this because I cast mainly from sitting in the kayak. I do wade but not a lot.

I do have a 5wt and a 6 wt that are actually lined with their respective weights. I don't use them kayak fishing

A heavier line will load the rod with less "line in the air". A plus for me when sitting in a kayak. Also, we're fishing in and around mangroves which at times limits our casting distance. We are also stealthy in a kayak so your casts don't normally need to be 60 - 70 ft. Now, if you're down there with Cordell chasing Bonefish you'll want 60 - 70 ft or more. ha!!

I actually have a 7' 3wt that I have uplined to a 5 wt line for fishing those small streams in the Georgia mountains. Same reason .... less line out to load the rod.

Now, as far as what price to pay for a fly line ... I feel you pretty much get what you pay for.

Now, I'll step aside and let the resident experts chime in. :)
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I typically line the rated weight line on the most of my fly rods, but I tend to power cast so I have no problem loading. The Ultra 4 is a good mid level line. It has a relatively short head and front taper, so it should be good for kayak fishing. I wouldn't overline unless you are having problems loading on the backcasts. Overlining tends to slow down your cast.

My preference is for the Mastery Series Bonefish and Redfish lines, which run about $10 more than the Ultra but give you a little better presentation and sensivity.
rpiatt3

Post by rpiatt3 »

I'm not an expert at all and I don't claim to be but I once put some 8wt line on a 6/7 wt rod and on the 4th back cast the rod snapped in half, but in those first casts it was great. It was going up one and a half wt's but I would just say be careful. I took the rod back and they replaced it for free but I will not do that again. I will agree with dunfly, if you power cast you shouldn't have a problem with the corresponding wt line.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

rpiatt3,

I'd say that was due more to a defect in the rod or a nick put in it somehow ... perhaps "chuck and duck" (casting clousers, etc).

Not sure how uplining a rod could snap it, especially when you plan on fighting BIG ol' Reds and Snook with it. :?
GIL

Post by 0119 »

Anybody ever underline? I put 7wt line on my 8wt Sage Launch and am much happier with it. I think its helped me make tighter loops on the forward cast. I understand its not much lighter than 8wt line but I think its really helped me keep my shoulder pain at bay.
hooknsnook

Post by hooknsnook »

i have done both, it really depends on what you want and what action the flyrod you have is..exp a rod labled 7/8 is a moderate action and can benifit by underlining this type rod.. it will feel like a lilfaster action by going down one.. i agree if you have a fast action rod and want it to load easy over lineing one will help you and take less fasle casting..great for short quick castes.. this is just my 2cts
buy the best line you can if you clean it ,you can leave on there along time..

i like the higher end sa lines i use the floating 90% of the time..
i like to drink cold beer :)
rpiatt3

Post by rpiatt3 »

I don't think I put any nicks in it I had only used some little panfish poppers on it to try it out with a 6wt line on a little pond and then put the 8wt on there to try it instead. I only had it for about a two weeks. I guess it could have been a defect.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Fishing in the White River in the Ozarks with a friend I watched him as he was bringing a fish to hand. He did not "high-stick" the fly rod but the tip on his $600+ Gatti snapped. He was fishing Sow Bugs and Scuds. Small trout flies. This was the fisrt time he used the rod. Don't remember the weight.

He put the 8 - 10 inch tip piece in the back pocket/pouch of his fishing vest. When we got back to camp he pulled two pieces out of the pouch. Just him leaning on it in the cab of the truck had snapped the piece of the tip again.

Obvious defect. This was a super fast rod but still, I don't think this should've happened.

Plus, I think power casting or double hauling would load the rod as much or more than the overlining.

Whatever caused your breakage I hope you have good luck with the new one.
GIL

noles

Post by noles »

rpiatt3 wrote:I'm not an expert at all and I don't claim to be but I once put some 8wt line on a 6/7 wt rod and on the 4th back cast the rod snapped in half, but in those first casts it was great. It was going up one and a half wt's but I would just say be careful. I took the rod back and they replaced it for free but I will not do that again. I will agree with dunfly, if you power cast you shouldn't have a problem with the corresponding wt line.
I would say that the breakage had nothing to do with using the uplining of the rod. The rod was previously damaged/compromised and it was just a coincidence that it it broke when you uplined the rod.
rpiatt3

Post by rpiatt3 »

The new rod hasn't given me any problems yet with the 6wt line.