Tried the beach again

Flamingo to Big Bend
Chief1600

Tried the beach again

Post by Chief1600 »

Went out to Terry's :wink: beach early this morning to try for the elusive snookies. Took Suzie and Cody this time in case I needed a witness. Even though they were only using spinning tackle I didn't mind taking them along. It was a beautiful morning, a little rain around but not right there, just the lightest of East breezes, the waves were a little bigger than I would have thought but they must have been driving in from offshore. Didn't see much bait activity. I saw quite a few 24" to 30" fish right along the trough where the waves were breaking. I only got one decent strike on a Clouser. I did have one fish swim right up to where I was standing in the water and stop to look at my feet. It turned and swam off slowly, no doubt laughing the whole time. Suzie said she had one bump on a bone Spook Jr, Cody was using a big, fat soft plastic on a light jig head with no results. We did spot something large and silvery rolling about 100 yards or so off the beach.
After we got done we met up with some friends for pancakes and sausage, yum.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Breakfast sounded good :wink:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I wasn't down here until this afternoon. However, if you saw some hung over under-thirty girls, that was my daughter and friends. (I doubt they were fishing!)

Catching snook on this part of the beach has not been easy this year. I have heard some reports of some decent catches, but all have been on live bait. I'm about 0 for 10 right now. The north end or the Long Boat Key pass are seeing better action as far as these beaches go.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Heywood wrote:Breakfast sounded good :wink:
The Sausage n Pancake breakfast on Holmes Beach is for Tourists, Snowbirds, and Bluehairs...........Further south just north of Cortez is a little cafe on the water that serves up a really great breakfast :wink: :wink: I never remember the name but I can tell you the food and coffee are excellent......I think it's called "The Beach Cafe"
Last edited by JoeS on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
jd

Post by jd »

Did you see any mangrove snapper on the beach up that way. Cameron and I had heard some reports of big numbers of good sized fish from guys diving around some rocks, so we netted some pins and gave it a go. It was an insane bite. Once one was hooked ten or so would follow and you just had to pitch in to the fray to hook up. We caught 20 in a little over an hour to 17" , pulled a bunch of hooks and got rocked by a few. We took home a couple nice ones for a fish fry this week. Don't know what drove them to the beach in such numbers. Some one said they were spawning, but we did not see any eggs when Cameron filleted them.
I have trouble acting normal.
islander

Post by islander »

It was tough going a couple beaches south of that one. They were even ignoring live bait! I did get one that put up no fight whatsoever, and looked anorexic...

Nice, though, that we had some decent winds FOR A CHANGE.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Going to give that beach thing a shot early tomorrow morning with foofisher. I haven't fished at the beach in over twenty or so years!!! :oops:

We'll see what becomes of it...
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

islander wrote:...I did get one that put up no fight whatsoever, and looked anorexic...
That's kinda sad. Poor thing thought she finally had a meal with your lure. Hope you gave her a handful of food before you let her go. :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Tide1on wrote:We'll see what becomes of it...
I need a lot more experience!
A lot more!!! :roll:
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

I finally got a decent beach snook bite yesterday. I had to break down and use live bait. It definitely worked though. :D