Top Water Reds

Flamingo to Big Bend
overtheedge86

Top Water Reds

Post by overtheedge86 »

I met with co-worker Chris again this morning for a little wading. We went to a spot where we have both caught juvi tarpons, hoping to find them again. Well they weren't showing themselves so we are stuck blind casting. I hook up first on a spook jr. with what i believe to be a red(spit hook). after inspecting my leader the very next cast lands this guy at just over 30"
My biggest red yet. After this fish i switched to a "redfish magic" spinner bait after reading about it on these forums. It work's and quite well, i caught two more 26" and 23" in about a half hours time before we left. Unfortunately Chris only caught the skunk. :(
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Wow, what a red. Good job...
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Great looking fish. Nice to hear of your success with that lure. I've never tried one before, maybe I'll give it a shot once the floating grass situation mellows out.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Ok I gotta ask. If you hooked that monster on a spook jr why switch to nother lure ?
0 0 1
newyaker

Post by newyaker »

What a pig!!! Nice !
(Hobie fish Outfitter Tandem 08') Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Beauty of a red. What do the juvie tarpon eat for ya? They can be finicky.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
overtheedge86

Post by overtheedge86 »

DaveR wrote:Beauty of a red. What do the juvie tarpon eat for ya? They can be finicky.
Spook jr. or and a rapala x-rap have worked. I've been seeing them alot but the are very picky.

As far as switching to the spinner, I knew the reds were there and wanted to try the spinner.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Nice fish man.
TRUE
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Nice fish. I have yet to land a red on topwater or a spinner bait. I will be going out next weekend rigged and ready to go. 8)
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

Glad you got the reds to bite bro. We didn't do too well in that area last week! :D
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Good work! Glad you found the reds!

Seems to be a high tide spot!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.