Power Pro Poll

Questions and answers on anything related to kayak or canoe fishing

What do you use for your everyday fishing?

10lb
35%
15lb
32%
20lb
33%

Total votes: 88

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Power Pro Poll

Post by DaveR »

This is for you Power Pro users. You mono dinosaurs behave and be quiet. :lol: What pound test do you use for your every day flats fishing rigs? I'm not talking your whimpy trout rigs or hernia causing pull a snook from docks rigs. Just your everyday throw a spoon across a flat or maybe pitch to a few mangroves stuff.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

10lb here. It has a breaking strength of a lil more than 10 lbs. If you need to put that kinda pressure on a fish, chances are that you're not using the right rod to begin with. I rarely have problems or situations that cause the line to break. Leaders are a different story. If I break a fish off, its almost always the leader that goes.
Rik

Re: Power Pro Poll

Post by Rik »

DaveR wrote: Just your everyday throw a spoon across a flat or maybe pitch to a few mangroves stuff.
This was a dual vote deal for me. I have 10# on the "throw a spoon across the flat" rod.

I have 15# on a couple reels for doing stuff that causes tangles. Its just a lot easier to work with.

Thankfully the stuff lasts forever because a new spool of PowerPro will drive ya nuts!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I voted 20, but I remember now that went back and changed most of my reels to 15.
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Bigrob

Post by Bigrob »

10 lb is all I use. I'm thinking of trying 8lb just for fun.
t_bare

Post by t_bare »

I use 10# when I'm in my yak, w Stradic 2500's
and 14#(stren superbraid) when I'm in my boat

The 10# is way more "knotty".

I may go to 15# on everything.

t_bare
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

10lb on my light rods, Spoons , jerkbais, jigs etc.

20LB my top water rod.

Really dont gt that much trouble with the 10 knotting, occasionally, but not so often to think about changing it!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

I use 20 lb test. I can still throw a lure a long way and the wind knots are fewer and they are easier to undo. I still set the drag like I am using 10 lb test though. If you set the drag for 20 you are going to tear up a lot of equiptment.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

10 for open water and 20 in the sticks.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Ol Red Eye

Post by Ol Red Eye »

10# for my 2500 stradic-flats, smaller speices
20# for my 4000 sphero-bridges, docks, tarpon

But i vote 10#
snookin4

Post by snookin4 »

I switched to 15 as soon as they came out with it. The 10 is just a little too thin and seemed to cut into the leader under pressure, the 20's just a little too much to cast the light stuff as far.
SnookKatcher

Post by SnookKatcher »

10 lb. on a couple of ultralights and fished like 4/6 lb....10 lb. on a couple of Stradic 2000's for Trout/flats, and for throwing unweighted jerkbaits and very light jigs, or a topwater into the next County.....20 lb. on a couple of Stradic 2000's and everything 4000-size for general purpose fishing, because 10 lb. gets wind knots too easy no matter what. The 20 lb. gets fished like 10 or 12 lb. test that the reels and rods are rated for. The 15 lb. came out after a dozen or so reels got filled with 20 lb., so I haven't tried it yet. Were I respooling/starting over, most reels would get 15 lb. instead of 20 lb. again. BTW, bigger than 4000-size/Penn 450SS's- 30 lb., 550SS's/650SS- 50 lb., 850SS's-50 lb./65 lb. BIG Snook and 'Poons/Anything with spinning tackle. Baitcasters, 30 lb. and 50 lb. on Calcuttas and Penns. Flyline backing- 'miles' of 30 lb. on 7/8/9 wt., 65 lb. on 10 wt.. Yeah, I like Power Pro. :wink: Lee.
"... this river don't go to Aintry..."
Sky Camo O.K. Drifter
Rolando

Post by Rolando »

20# on my flats rods 50# on my bridge snookin rods.
Rusty

power pro

Post by Rusty »

I put 20# on first cause I thought 10# might be too light. Then I found out that Harold's Outdoor Products in Plant City has 15# in bulk spools and will spool it up by the yard for me. I think I'll switch over first chance I get.

Rusty <><
If you want to catch something you have to get a hook in the water.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

15lb on the pair of reels I use most of the time. Don't think I'll respool with it again though, Power Pain would be a better name for it.
FishingDL

Post by FishingDL »

John, If you don't want to keep using power pro you better take it off your reels now. It can be a pain but once you get used to it the problems will minimize. Once you get used to the no stretch and sensitivity and castability of it you will not be able to go back to the rubberband mono. After getting used to it I used a rod with mono on it. I was throwing a top dog jr. I had to work a lot harder to give the lure the proper walk and when you set the hook there is an unbelievable difference. When using a spoon you can feel the Reds bump it sometimes before they actually hit it. With mono you can't get that feel.

Change now or you never will be able to.
Dave
-------------------------------------------------------
Is your fish dripping?

(11-01) 235 - (1-22) 215