Knot thread (formerly the Bill Jacksons thread)

mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Spoons are easy to re-tie having only one rather large hook to contend with, it's those pesky treble hooked hardbaits that really piss me off to the point I just cut them off first.

As far as the last question, I don't do it, but I know others that double up on their braid when tying to flouro, especially heavy one's. I tried this once but didn't care for the size knot that was knocking through my guides.

Personally I've never had a triple knot come undone. If it ever did, I'd most likely just add another loop and go on with life as usual. The triple's been pretty bulletproof for me so far. (knock wood) :wink:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
TerryW

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29791&am

Post by TerryW »

Norm wrote:
SRQGator wrote:
Norm wrote:If you ever show up to another paddle-fishing function Terry, I will be glad to show you the Slim Beauty
There you go again Norm. :oops: :oops: :oops:
You have such a dirty mind Jay.. :lol: :lol: Very admirable :wink:
:shock:
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
aquaholik

Knot test

Post by aquaholik »

So it's a slow day at work and I decided to entertain pbr. Here is the following unofficial test using 10lb test Stren Super Braid(that is still on a brand new 300yds spool that I got on Ebay at a super deal) and a piece of 30lb Suffix Superior mono.

Test Result:

1. Single line ancient Chinese super secret Braid to Mono Knot: 20lbs(line did not break, I couldn't pull any harder, left hand on Stren Super Braid Spool, right hand on 30lb Boga.

2. Triple Surgeon : Braid broke at knot at 12lbs.

3. Double uni-uni( fold braid over itself to double line before forming uni-uni) : Braid broke at 14lbs.

4. Single line slim beauty(pass single line braid thru figure 8, tighten figure 8 on mono, 6 turn up and 6 turn down and pass thru opening in braid. :Braid broke at 14lbs.

5. Double line slim beauty(no Spider hitch, just double the braid before passing thru figure 8 in mono, 5 turns up, 5 turns down, insert thru opening in braid, pull tight): Braid broke at 16lbs.

6. 7 turns surgeon loop to double the braid then 8 turn Bristol(Yucatan, no name): Braid broke at 14lbs.

7. Since the test was performed one after another with the braid still attach to the original spool at all time, I thought it might have weaken. I repeated the first test and again pull it to 22lbs before the braid broke. This confirms that Stren Super Braid 10lbs test breaks at above 20lbs(just like PP and Stealth in 10lbs).
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

I trust Lee and will stick with the Uni to Uni.
Thanks Lee.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
TK

Post by TK »

I double my powerpro with a spider hitch (much easier than the bimini) and use a uni to uni to connect the leader (usually 20lb flouro)

I am with Todd. Never had the Uni to Uni fail inshore or offshore, so I don't think I will tax my poor pea for a brain with a new knot.

Norm - showing your slim beauty? really? C'mon.
"I am trying to catch tarpon, but these snook keep getting in the way!"
pbr

Post by pbr »

I ran my test with just 10 lb. mono. Tied uni to uni and triple surgeons on the same line and made a continuous loop. I then looped one end over a fixed post, lined up the knots and pulled steady on the other end of the loop, uni to uni failed first everytime. I did not double up on either line. Based on Lee's test, he doubled the braid on the uni to uni but not on the triple surgeon, so to me it looks like the surgeon is stronger.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Slim Beauty....Cast great if you have small tip top guides
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Mark R wrote:
TerryW wrote:Yep - Matt is quite knowledgeable.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would NOT use the double uni.
Slim Beauty, that's why
X2

Great knot--i end up trimming only 1 inch of the excess leader line. And you can even tie it with the lure or hook attached :wink:
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

scotty14 wrote:
Mark R wrote:
TerryW wrote:Yep - Matt is quite knowledgeable.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would NOT use the double uni.
Slim Beauty, that's why
X2

Great knot--i end up trimming only 1 inch of the excess leader line. And you can even tie it with the lure or hook attached :wink:
Seems to me I've seen different versions of this knot posted and they all look tedious compared to the Surgeons Knot. Do you have directions on yours handy? Bill?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

teamshaft3 wrote:
scotty14 wrote:
Mark R wrote:Slim Beauty, that's why
X2

Seems to me I've seen different versions of this knot posted and they all look tedious compared to the Surgeons Knot. Do you have directions on yours handy? Bill?
I'd have to show you Cisco....We need to hook up some afternoon and slay some Giants. I have an at home version and an in the field version of the knot. Both are easy to tie if you have ok eyes.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Wuluf

Bill Jacksons

Post by Wuluf »

Matt's the man. Always provides good advice. Dude has a hell of a handshake too. Wouldn't loan him my kayak though. Not sure it would make it back in one piece!
Wuluf
Wuluf

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=29791&am

Post by Wuluf »

TerryW wrote:
Norm wrote:
SRQGator wrote:There you go again Norm. :oops: :oops: :oops:
You have such a dirty mind Jay.. :lol: :lol: Very admirable :wink:
:shock:
too many opportunities with this conversation Terry
Wuluf
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Sebile has innovated a line to leader knot they call the "sebile knot".... it really is a great knot, I don't care if you thinkg $15 is too much for a lure you owe it to yourself to try this knot.

To me the breaking point with the uni-uni was the size of the knot (lost casting distance, damaged guides, etc) which opted me to try the slim beauty, that is until two days ago that I tried the sebile knot. So far so good, time will tell but have heard many good things about it.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

That Sebile knot is not an easy one to tie, IMHO.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

My young eyes and sturdy hands make tying it a breeze. It's not as hard as it looks, promise.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
aquaholik

Post by aquaholik »

seeinred wrote:Sebile has innovated a line to leader knot they call the "sebile knot".... it really is a great knot, I don't care if you thinkg $15 is too much for a lure you owe it to yourself to try this knot.

To me the breaking point with the uni-uni was the size of the knot (lost casting distance, damaged guides, etc) which opted me to try the slim beauty, that is until two days ago that I tried the sebile knot. So far so good, time will tell but have heard many good things about it.
Well darn it Spencer, you just gave away my super secret ancient Chinese "braid" knot. I knew I shouldn't have told Sam. Now he is going to convert every one in Boca Grande.